Woolworths meat and pricing

I have been loyal to Woolworths online for a couple of years.
Recently received really crappy meat from them.
In shopping, a pack of lamb chops priced as 550gm to 900gm.
Woolworths charges the highest amount at checkout, then pay me back later.
Like, whaaat? Same for a chook, priced as 1.5kg to 2kg Woolworths charges the highest amount at checkout.
Like whaaat?
I have recently moved to Coles online shopping. Great meat, really nice meat. Fair.pricing, cheaper delivery fee.
How can a family budget with Woolworths charges . Is this a scam? They have our money for at least 24hr .

2 Likes

This would be because each meat packet has a different weight. At checkout the exact weigh being delivered wonā€™t be known ā€¦ until the groceries are packedā€¦and Woolworths assumes the maximum product weight at that time. When the groceries are packed for delivery, the adjustment is made then. If they didnā€™t use the maximum weight and needed to charge a customer more at packing, this may be seen as drip pricing or misleading the customer (or deceptive conduct).

5 Likes

O.k. thank you

1 Like

Our local coles has shoddy ā€œpersonal shoppersā€ (Iā€™ve seen how they work), and after trying them out a few weeks back have vowed and declared never again. If I canā€™t go, myself, I get a delivery from Woolworths. The difference between the two, apart from quality, is that Coles doesnt charge you until your order is packed but Woolworths charges you straight away, and refunds when theres a difference. I received a $4.71 refund overnight for a delivery this morning, Iā€™m thinking its probably the chicken thighs of which I ordered a large pack. I donā€™t mind, at least I know they will do that.

4 Likes

I have only been at Coles online shopping for 3 shops so far. I just like the fact that I know what I spend on meat straight away.
Like, this pack of lamb chops cost this much and thatā€™s that. Makes me comfortable with my budgeting.
Unfortunately, at my local Woolworths, the meat is really gross. Furthermore, my Woolworths store is 5km from my home. Woolworths charges me up to $15 delivery depending on how much I spend.
Glad you are happy with your Woolworths.

1 Like

I live within 1km of a Coles and Woolworths. I agree, not knowing how much meat I am getting and cost is one reason I dont get deliveries from them. the other is the cost of delivery. I am a pensioner, with health issues which sometimes prevent me from walking to the shops yet Woolworths charge more than it would cost me to get a taxi! Coles charge less, unfortunately they pack by throwing things into a bag, cleaning products, cheese, groceries, all mixed in. When they have used the number of bags THEY calculated at checkoutā€¦they simply throw the rest into the crate loose. Last time, 7 x 1liter bottles of milk in one bag! and they leave at door now so I had to carry them in a few at a time. I am considering getting home help for the shopping and going to IGA and Aldi. these two simply do not care about customers.

4 Likes

Hello. Sorry to hear about your packaging problems with Coles.
You could contact your local council for support with transportation for groceries.
Itā€™s my understanding, they have supports for pensioners over 62 years of age.
I tried tried with local council for support recently. I am not old enough.
Supermarkets donā€™t seem to care about our problems.
I havenā€™t been able to shop in supermarkets since 2005. I have relied on Woolworths for the last 2years.
My last shop with Woolworths, in one order.
They couldnā€™t supply me with several item and upon delivery several item missing.
Sure, they refund missing stuff straight away, thatā€™s my only shop for the fortnight.
So thatā€™s 14 items I donā€™t have.
They know my situation. I have explained to Woolworths many times. So, thatā€™s it. I had to give Coles a go.
I will watch their packaging this Saturday delivery. Thanks

2 Likes

Quite literally it seems. I had broken eggs and thats why I wont go there again. Iā€™ll shop independently at our Coles, the meat is excellent quality except for the sausages, which I buy from the butcher outside the main coles store. woolies thoughā€¦ they have been excellent. Yes, you might find that you get a refund for less meat, but its never a massive amount, and the cost to bring it can be excessive at timesā€¦ but it does vary and if you are canny, you can get it cheaply (relatively speaking). $10 for a delivery is fine by me, whereas I think $15 is way too much. So I choose a delivery window that lets me pay less. Iā€™m the same as you, pension, health issuesā€¦ but one does oneā€™s best under the circumstances, and, touch wood, Iā€™ve never had an egg broken by the woolies packers.

3 Likes

I buy our eggs from our local Supa IGA.

The checkout staff actually open and inspect every egg carton to ensure there are no damaged eggs.

A couple of times, the cashier has just asked me if I have already checked them, which I always do.

How good is that for customer service?

3 Likes

Love IGA, but too far from me :frowning: Iget my eggs ( True free range from local farm) at my local butcher, which is about 100 meters away. his meat is a bit pricey but excellent quality. Also, I can buy one or two sausages, rissoles etc which also provides variety.

4 Likes

thereā€™s also the question of what happens if the card was good for the original lower amount but exceeds its credit limit for the full amount. It is a hassle for Woolworths to have to reverse the packing of the goods / they donā€™t know which items you are prepared to sacrifice in order to get under your credit limit.

3 Likes

If you are paying by credit card (I assume this is the case - please clarify if not) then itā€™s not ā€œyourā€ money at all. The reality is that noone has anyoneā€™s money, because itā€™s all theoretical money.

You donā€™t pay until the end of your payment cycle (by which time the discrepancy is long adjusted for).

The merchant probably wonā€™t have received the money from the card service provider either.

The only negative for you is that it is temporarily tying up a small extra amount of your credit limit, but credit is exactly that ā€¦ not your money.

2 Likes

That depends on, and I do not know the answer, whether Woolies only puts a hold on the amount or processes the charge. From the posts it appears they process the charge or there would be no refund required, so at that point the amount would be accruing interest until any overcharge is refunded, for those who carry balances.

5 Likes

Fair point.

I admit it. Iā€™m a ā€œtransactorā€. It wouldnā€™t cost me anything.

It is still true though that the money is not ā€œyourā€ money.

2 Likes

My CBA MasterCard used to show Woollies transactions being finalised the same day.

However, some weeks ago, it changed to only showing pending on the day of the transaction as per Coles and other merchants.

Another credit card quirk as pointed out to me by our local Bunnings staff is that if you scan your credit card for a refund to be applied, it takes several days for the credit to appear, but by inserting the card in the terminal, the credit appears the next day.

Something I have never heard anywhere else, but I assume the employees either donā€™t know or have been told not to mention it.

2 Likes

My concern with is, as soon as I checkout Woolworths transaction online, I use MasterCard. Not credit, the amount is gone from available funds in my account .
I think, if was a large family, say six people?
I canā€™t imagine the amount of necessary overcharge on Woolworths part.
The amount could be quite substantial.
Woolworths for normally refund the next day

2 Likes

Regardless of when your statement shows your transaction (your available credit goes down), that means nothing for when the merchant gets the money.

So you mean like a debit card that is processed through the credit card system? It is your money and your actual balance is going down?

In that case you can ignore a lot of the discussion about credit.

1 Like

I donā€™t know how you work it out but online shopping at woolworths gives running totals as you add things to your cart, I donā€™t ever go over an amount I have set for myself for the shop (including the delivery fee). Every item has a price set on the webā€¦ My chook thighs were to be $24. They ended up being $19.70 for the pack I received. I received a refund for the difference. There is no overcharging taking place as far as I can see.

How can you possibly be ā€œoverchargedā€ if you are paying attention?

2 Likes

The OP was not posting about being overcharged per se, it was about being charged a maximum amount that tied up credit, or caused interest, or caused a temporary reduction in funds available on the card (debit). eg a packet of meat shown online could be anywhere from 500g to 750g and priced accordingly per kg, and they apparently price and charge for 750g on the order, and ā€˜correctā€™ (refund) it if they deliver less than 750g in the order.

I guess paying ā€˜too muchā€™ and getting a refund could be considered an overcharge followed by a correction, but I call it lazy programming.

1 Like