Woolworths/Coles soft drinks up30c

Both Coles and Woolworths have put their soft drinks up from 70c-$1 because of the introduction of cash for cans.

So because the consumer can get 10c recycling plastic bottle they have been charged extra 30c by duopoly

2 Likes

Unfortunately the costs are passed down to the retailers to pay for the administration and running of the program. While it would be great if the scheme didn’t cost any money, someone has to pay for the recycling/container deposit centres, its labour and equipment. These costs are passed into the consumer. The additional $0.20 per softdrink bottle is mostly the overhead costs of the scheme. It isn’t the retailers profiting, but the retailers passing these costs onto the consumer so they can maintain the same margins on the product after the scheme is introduced. The finger should be pointed at state governments who failed to publicise the real costs the consumer pays for the scheme.

We have noticed since moving to Tasmania, the financial impact of the scheme on the cost of products. A carton of drinks (24 containers in the 10c recycling scheme) is about $3-4 more in Brisbane. The extra dollar or two hidden in the purchase price of the items pays for the scheme. Nothing comes for free…

2 Likes

Provided you’re not charged more than $2.40 on a 24 pack of coke you are better off provided you return the cans for a refund. We’ve done so for years here in SA. We have a 240 litre bin to store such items, including bottles.

1 Like

Actually, for decades!! " South Australian Parliament passed the Beverage Container Act 1975 , which commenced operation in January 1977."

NSW had a return thing years ago and bought it back. But that was aluminium cans they gave refunds on. Never sure why it changed

1 Like

I just had a quick hunt for NSW+aluminium cans: the history is buried under loads of links on the 2017 start of CDC in NSW…
Here’s the link to the quote I used - it’s a terrible shame it has taken so long to be implemented around the country though…
https://www.recyclesa.com.au/container-deposit-legislation/south-australian-deposit-history/

1 Like

Yep, I knew that, probably because of my age. (Grin)

1 Like