Woolies Latest Acts Of Stupidity

They all potentially have the same catalogue.

The Woolworths Mount Sheridan store is set in their online store for two reasons,

1. to ensure that you are seeing the right catalogue for your local area (note: where container deposit scheme have not been introduced, like Tasmania, any product containers which are subject to the deposit will reflect this in the catalogue price, that being about $0.20 to $0.25 per more item)
  2. so that you can get information on the availability in the Woolworths Mount Sheridan store.

The catalogue is not unique to the Woolworths Mount Sheridan store and would be used potentially throughout the state and other states which have a container deposit scheme in place.

1 Like

No one claimed that it is.

It may or may not be specifically just applicable to FNQ.

The bottom line is that the catalogue presented for FNQ including Mt Sheridan lists barramundi on special when they fail to have it in stock.

Most catalogues have conditions like ‘no rainchecks’, ‘while stocks last’, ‘only available in stores selling fresh seafood’ etc.

It is worth reading the bottom lines in the catalogues.

As I have posted previously, our local Woolies have only had the barra in stock a couple of times during the last several months, and it has regularly been on special.

Their Mickey Mouse website is showing that the only store in the Cairns area with stock is Earlville.

It also shows that 3 of Townsville stores, 1 of 5 Mackay stores and 2 of 5 Rockhampton have stock.

This is not a one off occurence but is par for the course.

What sort of ship of fools regularly promotes a product but then almost invariably fails to have it in stock.

What you say is consistent with how the product was marketed in the catalogue
in the text a few pages in about the items appearing in the catalogue.

Woolworths have been quite clear in stocking of catalogue items. It isn’t in stock in all stores everyday at everytime (including your local store) but in stock elsewhere which you have found out. This isn’t misleading, especially if one reads the conditions of sale.

1 Like

I am not calling it misleading. I am calling it incompetence and a total disregard for customer service.

They do state that seafood is not stocked at all stores. They don’t say an item of seafood will be available at only 1 out of 5 stores which all stock seafood.

I can’t see that the issue is. It appears you are disappointed that the barramundi wasn’t available at your local store when you visited, even though stock could have sold out or not available at this particular store. I would also be disappointed, but also know that stock in stores fluctuate and with putrescible products like seafood. I would rather they sell out of the stock rather than have significant wastage from overordering on the off chance that they might sell all the product
or to ensure that every customer who wants the product could have the product.

I would rather see no stock and no waste, rather than heaps of stock and a lot of waste because it couldn’t be sold within the selling period.

This makes both commercial and environmental sense, and possibly Woolworths should be congratulated in not having a lot of waste, especially a fresh, putrescible product like seafood.

1 Like

FWIW in leafy Eltham our Woolies does not offer (eg they do not stock, ever) a number of items regularly featured in the applicable Melbourne metro catalogue.

It is irritating and all the reasons in the known universe, and a few universes not yet discovered makes it OK when an unknowing consumer high-tails it to their local Woolies, fails to find the product, finds an employee who checks their computer to state they have no idea when they will get it since it is all centrally managed and ordered, and the store gets what they get.

Whether those staff are being disingenuous, know something, or need better training on [
] is irrelevant to the reality that Woolies focuses on this ‘technique’ in their catalogue advertising.

Our Coles has yet to be caught out with items never stocked that were in their catalogue, but sometimes they run out which is understandable for some product categories.

I understand @Fred123’s point but it is neither stupidity nor incompetent. It is consciously managed marketing that works and the numbers of customers they put off side must be far fewer than matter to them since it seems a national characteristic of their advertising, at least based on ‘cases of 2’ (FNQ and Melbourne).

3 Likes

Wow. Some members actually want to defend Woolies stupidity.

I received this pathetic offer from Woolies.today.

Hi XXXX, enjoy $10 off your next order!

It’s easy, simply:

• Shop online and spend $170 or more in one order
  • Select Direct to Boot, Delivery or Pick up and enter promo code SAVE at checkout
  • Enjoy $10 off your shop

Hurry, offer ends 11:59pm AEST Tuesday, 29th June 2021.

I also received this Flybuys offer from Coles yesterday.

XXXX, collect 3,200 BONUS POINTS when you spend $80 in one shop at Coles!

Offer valid in store or online for orders placed and delivered or collected between Wed 23 Jun and Fri 25 Jun 2021.

This offer followed on from the previous offer which finished last week to spend $60 a week for 4 weeks to receive 10,000 bonus Flybuys points worth $50 with one interim offer to spend $70 one week ro receive 2,000 points worth $10 and another interim offer to spend $80 another week to recieve another 2,000 points worth $10.

So for a total minimum spend of $270, we received $70 worth of Flybuys points whilst what we purchased were items we wuld normally buy.

So for an offer to spend a total of $270, we received 13,000 bonus points worth

“That’s why I pick Coles.”

Well @Fred123,

Coles share price for the past year

versus Woolies

Stupidity? They certainly impress the markets more.

1 Like

Wow. So treating consumers with disregard and contempt is totally justified as long as the share prices are heading North?

Did they learn fron Harvey Norman?

Your assertion is they are stupid. They seem to be astute managers. Maybe you should stop shopping at Woolies to reduce your personal dissatisfaction?

3 Likes

On the other hand why have it in some stores if nobody knows it is in any? Or do you think there ought to be a separate catalogue for each store?

1 Like

In fairness many catalogues clearly state certain products are not available in specific stores. If a product is never stocked in a particular store it can be made known. The problem is when a product might or might not be available when advertised.

1 Like

Every business falls into the same category. I don’t know of any that has unlimited supplies and inventory of stock to cater for all consumers all the time.

Even with our business, when we book a room it becomes unavailable to others who may be disappointed, but is doesn’t mean we are stupid or treat our potential guests with disregard or contempt because it isn’t available to them.

Businesses often can’t satisfy demand or have every stock or product on inventory all the time. Last year most supermarkets didn’t have toilet paper even though it was advertised online as a product they usually stock. Doesn’t mean they were stupid or incompetent.

They were cleaned out of other products. Doesn’t mean they were stupid or incompetent.

Maybe your expectations of everything being available exactly when you want it are unreasonable?

2 Likes

You appear to being pedantic.

We are not talking about the great toilet paper pandenic last year.

When the largest supermarket chain in Australia continually fails to deliver the products they promote, it is beyond a joke.

If they cannot deliver, then they should’t list these items in their weekly catalogues on special

Is it unreasonable to expect to actually be able to buy what Woolies advertise regularly?

What next? A copout if they have no brushed potatoes?

Every supermarket is the same. Take Aldi, they advertise special buys in their weekly catalogues which often sell out within seconds of doors opening. Because one can’t buy a special buy because it is no longer available doesn’t make Aldi stupid or incompetent. It however may be bait advertising at worst.

Coles are no different and often sell out of advertised special items when demand exceeds their planned sales. They also have fine print at the bottom of their catalogues like all supermarkets indicating until sold out, may not be available in all stores etc.

Woolworths is no different, like any other business. Why single out Woolworths when it is no different to any other business.

2 Likes

Wow. That is a lot of tabs.
Actually, I have a similar problem; you open ONE tab and the rest follow quickly. just use Ctrl + W.

2 Likes

Just how I like it.

When I turn the PC on each morning and open Chrome, I then click “open closed tab” ad they all magically reappear.

1 Like

Woolies has raised customer disservice to the next level.

I went to our local Woolies to buy the Schick shaving gel that they had listed on their website for half price only to find that, as usual, there was no stock, just a “special” sign and an empty shelf space.

I played “find an employee in any aisle” before going to the Customer Disservice Counter and asked if there was any stock out the back, or if I could get a raincheck.

The employee stated that they no longer did rainchecks, and called another employee.who came back and stated there was no stock. No advice as to when there might be some stock, if ever.

I then went to our local Coles to do our weekly shop and asked a staff member if they still did rainchecks to which he replied that they did.

When I mentioned that Woolies no longer did, he was amazed and commented it would be more business for Coles.

When there was only one jar of my coffee left, I went to the Customer Service Counter and asked if there was any more stock.

The staff member checked with another person who said it was coming on tonight’s load and that I could have a raincheck.

At least I got 3 half price pork loin crackling roasts at Woolies for my wife and her sister for $10 each, less the10% monthly discount, without even being a member of their deceptive & misleading mobile plans or car insurance promotions.

And even that is more business than Woolies deserve.