Windows 10 updating

Windows 10 just keeps getting better.

Every time I have needed to install Canon printer drivers, I have downloaded them off the Canon website, and then usually experienced dramas with the software not being able to detect the printer.

Yesterday I needed to connect to the Canon printer our elder daughter has and as I was not sure if it was already installed on our laptop, I went to print and checked what printers were available.

Windows 10 detected the Canon printer and asked if I wanted to install it. It then toddled off and automatically downloaded and installed the drivers, and it was ready to print in a matter of minutes.

It sure beats having to visit the Canon website and getting the run-around with the installation.

1 Like

Doing the Windows update type install is much easier, but be aware that drivers may not be the full kit and kaboodle. My experience is that Windows only installs the basic print etc drivers, but if you have say a Multi Function Printer (MFP), it doesn’t install all the apps to fully utilise all the functions of the printer/scanner/etc.

To get full functionality for MFPs, you need to get the Original Equipment Manufacturer’s drivers and apps, whether it is from a disc or from their website.

4 Likes

Honestly Windows 10 gets too much of a bad rap. If you spend some time poking at the settings it’s the most customizable OS in existence (unless you’re good with Linux and programming)

1 Like

For those with PC’s, there is linux (techie and infinitely customisable), Windows (what you wrote), and what else? Chrome OS is based on linux and is not as much an operating system as a web app.

Conclusion, Windows is 2nd of 2, there is no viable 3, so you are correct :smiley:

4 Likes

I’m comparing all OSs across ALL devices, including past versions of Windows

2 Likes

Wow - that’s a lot of OS’s and a lot of devices 
 I still prefer RSTS/E V7 over any version of Microsoft Windows, though the machines I used it on were a little less portable than IBM PC’s and Compatibles 
 Plan 9 had potential :wink:

3 Likes

I would go with SCOPE, SCOPE2 or NOS myself remembering real users used line commands and that mode was strictly enforced :wink:

Chuckles.

2 Likes

Windows 10 just keeps on getting better.

I just needed to turn the mains power switch off whilst I replaced the thermostat for the booster in our HWS.

After I switched the mains back on, I simply pressed the power button on our office computer and re-opened the Google and Edge browsers.

Google simply asked “Restore all pages” whilst Edge alreadty displayed them.

I am pretty sure that I have previously had unsaved Word documents left open which were also automatically displayed.

Great stuff.

2 Likes

Linux is already available in Windows, and Microsoft has announced that it will include a Linux kernel in a forthcoming build.

Looking around at modern operating systems, there’s Windows, there’s iOS (Unix/BSD, so the same basis as Linux), and then there’s Linux. Mac OS is Linux; Android is Linux; ChromeOS, as you have already mentioned, is Linux.

2 Likes

If you’re all feeling a little nostalgic, then why not order a PiDP-11? The guy also sold PiDP-8s if you’re really old-school.

1 Like

then for those of us who had ‘real computers’, although only the ‘lower Cybers’, there is http://www.control-data.info/

That is a photo of Calla Sheyn if I remember the spelling correctly
 the system behind her was literally my PC for 6 months :smiley:

5 Likes

Impressive!

The modern hair styling is spot on alongside the sleek VDU. And not a Hollerith card or teletype terminal in sight. While crashing was the risk, and not hacking! :wink:

My mechanical keyboard is a poor substitute for the sounds of real computing work in progress. Although the chads from the cards were like gold to another worried the cleaners at night were not doing the job. Just empty the waste container contents liberally all around the office flooring and carpets! :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I can’t resist giving OpenVMS a nod here. While I personally use a Mac and also Windows 10 for development, I still get to work on some serious computers running OpenVMS.
Check the uptime from this screen shot - and yes the 1888 is days not hours.

OpenVMS V8.3 on node xxxxxx 20-MAY-2019 13:04:02.99 Uptime 1888 08:56:36

And even better.

I no longer bother to close Chrome & Edge browser windows, Word docs or Outlook when I shut down the office PC each night, and when I restart it each morning, all of them usually automatically reappear, and if not as in the case of Chrome this morning, I simply open the browser and then click “reopen closed tabs”.

Lenghty Word documents restart at page 1 and display a tab “Pickup where you left off” which takes me to where I was last at, usually the last page.

Even after an unexpected outage such as a mains power interruption, restarting the PC usually reopens everything that was open prior to the crash.

And Windows 10 automatically updates itself and carries out its periodic security scans

About the only thing it does not do is make my morning coffee.

Great stuff.

3 Likes

If you want to go old-school, why not get a PiDP-11? It includes blinkenflashen lightzen!

1 Like

Would an SEL-810 or Modcomp IV qualify? Did my time on both.

1 Like

I almost forgot this group who celebrate some things yesteryear. You might enjoy trolling the links.

https://cray-cyber.org/

1 Like

An article on ABC News regarding a Windows.security problem which requires patching.

Whilst the article failed to provide much detail, our office PC had downloaded updates which were awaiting installation,and have been done.

Another article provides more information.

This article from Microsoft relates to one of the 3 updates I installed today for the Windows 10 build version on our PC.

Microsoft has also withdrawn support for Windows 7 but this article advises how users can still update to Windows 10 for free.

3 Likes

Good news :thinking: I think.

2 Likes

If anyone is deciding to do the Win 10 October Update 20H2 (version 2009, and build 19042) please be aware not to do it by downloading it it to a DVD/USB/ISO as there are a few bugs that can cause problems. Only use the Automated built in Updating process when your machine offers it. MS are working on fixes (some have been resolved but not all).

2 Likes