Windows 10 and now Windows 11

I have been in that garden and sometimes it was fun, sometimes just frustration.

I am no longer in the industry and have joined the mob who would prefer not to have to know what is going on under the hood, I just want it to have a reasonable set of functions, features and performance, and work reliably. I would happily trade some the “goodies” for reliability and have no need at all for the latest and greatest. Having said that I believe Windows OS reliability and stability has mainly increased since the days of Windows 3.0.

Over a period of 30 years I rarely found that the latest update was a big benefit and sometimes found it was no better at all, and now and then it was worse. There is something in the idea that updating every two or three versions is quite enough for most purposes and saves money.

2 Likes

It appears that Microsoft has turned to ‘fixing’ Windows so that a fix for a reported bug fixes the proof of concept rather than the underlying problem.

Sounds like the company needs to clean up its Windows vulnerability repair team.

2 Likes

An article that offers some steps that may give a user greater privacy in Windows 11 if they desire that. There is also a link in the article that leads to hints for Windows 10 users.

2 Likes

I recently switched to Avira security, and was surprised when it gave me a pop up after a scan for ‘These windows settings are leaking your information.’ I thought I went through them thoroughly but obviously not enough.

2 Likes

Windows 11 23H2 the newest iteration is being rolled out through the Automatic updates, people can manually update sooner if they wish. There are some changes, of which I would suggest most are minor in nature. The biggest change is that Copilot has become standalone (no longer just in the Edge browser). Copilot is the AI assistant, it can help do research and carry out system tasks. Of course, the biggest benefit is that another 24 months of support are guaranteed by installing the update. I have provided a third party link to an article that explains what changes have occurred.

I’m currently on the newest version, the update occurred automatically for me and was quite painless and was a quick update compared to some other major version updates in the past.

4 Likes