Wifi Body Scales

I would like to request a test of Wifi Body Scales.

There was a test under https://www.choice.com.au/health-and-body/diet-and-fitness/weight-loss/review-and-compare/body-fat-scales, but it has been deleted.

Also in a general article about body fat scales (https://www.choice.com.au/health-and-body/diet-and-fitness/weight-loss/buying-guides/body-fat-scales) you mention very dryly

We no longer test body fat scales. For more CHOICE recommendations, check out our top 50 product reviews

Why’s that? I’d appreciate a bit more detail or even better: a new test of body scales! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @halloleo, welcome to the community.

In relation to why Choice didn’t post the test a specific review for the Wifi Body Fat Scales was provided at the bottom of the page you linked in you post, namely:

We couldn’t publish results for the Beurer BF800 (RRP$199), Nokia Body+ WBS05 (RRP$180) and Nokia Body Cardio WBS04 (RRP$320) as we were unable to successfully set them up in time for the test. We failed numerous attempts to set up the scales, with either the app getting stuck at a point in the process or the app failing to communicate with the scale. Unfortunately, by the time we were able to get these scales to work, testing was complete and results would not have been comparable with the DEXA scans.

It appears from this information that the scales are difficult to set up for use and the results weren’t compariable of medical scans (DEXA). This indicates that their reliability or accuracy may be questionable.

Choice (@RebeccaCiaramidaro) might be able to comment further on the above three devices and whether Choice plans to review some current models again in the future.

There has however been other published information about the accuracy of the scales which may also be useful background information for you:

and a slightly older one:

Other more independent reviews online seem to indicate that while they reasonably accurate for measuring body weight, they are inaccurate in measuring body composition/fat. Websites which aren’t independent praise the benefits of their use and accuracy :thinking:. This isn’t terribly good news if one wishes to purchase one for reliable body fat monitoring.

3 Likes

Thank you @phb for your detailed reply.

I had seen the comment about problem with Breuer and Nokia models, but I read it the way that there where other models without problems.

Anyway, I am not too fussy about the Body fat aspect. – I think just a WiFi connected Body scale which records the measurements and shows them in an app on a graph (obviously with proper CSV export function and preferable with import of historic data).

That would be worth testing I’d say. Any ideas whether this is in the pipeline, @RebeccaCiaramidaro?

2 Likes

Hi @halloleo
We haven’t had a large enough interest from members on this product category. So at this stage we don’t have any further testing of body fat scales in the pipeline.

4 Likes

Thanks @RebeccaCiaramidaro.

Totally understand.

3 Likes