Why do telstra make it so hard to purchase an item from them?

We’ve long switched to Westnet/iiNet for home internet. They’ve twice supplied upgraded modems for free when we’ve changed/upgraded plans. It’s likely others in the community have similar experiences which they can relate for other ISP/RSP.

Telstra and most other ISP/RSP will lock customers to their supplied modems if you require their bundled phone service. Aussie Broad Band is one that does not.

It seems very unusual and wrong that Telstra insisted on a concurrent purchase of a range extender to supply a new modem. The Telstra web site offered little joy in explaining the costs and options other than for a new customer. To see options for existing customers I think I need to log in as a customer.

The latest modem promoted includes a built in 4G mobile data sim and will fall over to the mobile network automatically if the fixed line service drops out. Do you have 4G services in your area?

Thought Bubble:
Telstra generally deliver their product/services at a premium. Telstra rely on a lack of consumer technical ability, and misdirection when pitching to customers, IMO.

A Telstra labelled ‘WiFi Booster’ is effectively the same as a wifi range extender or mesh device. Telstra doubtless will have a justification for saying their product is not the same. Hence it is locked to their wifi modems in some way. Possibly for the convenience of the consumer to eliminate any need for configuration. Typically any current brand and model of WiFi extender should be able to be used with a Telstra WiFi modem. Assumes you need one.

For consumers who use Telstra, there is no need to purchase a Telstra specific product to extend in home wifi coverage, unless the convenience factor is paramount. Note the ‘inconvenience factor’ of dealing with Telstra support should also be considered.

2 Likes

Anytime one is unhappy with their RSP or any other service, they are usually free to take their business to a more customer friendly source.

If one has good service and good prices it makes sense to continue, but you might contact their customer service (such as it is) and then their complaints line regarding your account. You could ask for the modem package to be ‘written off’ (eg provided free with the value credited to your account) or minimally dispute being sold a range extender you did not need or apparently want. Let them know you may move your business elsewhere.

Check alternatives; some require use of their modem to provide VOIP service, and some do not. If your Telstra modem is locked to Telsta services (possible) that will obviously impact your decision. If it is locked ask them if for the administrative privilege (to reconfigure to suit another RSP) and see how it goes, even if you do not intend to do/use it.

Right on, yet competitors such as Aussiebroadband and others have good customer support too, so it is also targeting customers who have been with them for many years such as @Sol , and their marketing provides a comfort blanket of sorts to keep ‘you’ with them. OTOH there is a cost as @Sol discovered,

2 Likes

Thanks PhilT and Mark for your reply. I took your advice PhilT and raised a complaint with Telstra.
Today I received a phone call from a very nice customer service person who kindly
waived the cost of the modem from my next bill (minus $288). I was very impressed that I didn’t have to argue with the person and grateful to be let off the large bill at this time of year.
I had looked at alternatives - I stayed with Telstra as I am living/working in the regional areas and from
what I can make out, they seem to have a better coverage although the other ISPs are improving all the time. I wanted to keep my email address. I looked at buying another modem but even that seemed expensive at around the $300 mark. The Telstra shop staff member said they are having some supply issues with modems. Thanks PhilT and Mark - glad the Choice community has helped me out.

3 Likes

You are most welcome. Trying to help consumers is why we are here :slight_smile:

Thanks for the update @Sol. It is always nice to hear about good outcomes.

Regardless of your future intentions, many of us are of opinion everyone should get a generic free or third party email service and migrate to it, so as not to be locked into any particular telco, noting as some have posted many telcos will keep an email address alive for a few dollars pcm if the customer otherwise moves on.

Generic addresses such as gmail, yahoo, hotmail, outlook and were once considered ‘dodgy’ but are now mainstream and as credible as any, and even many small companies and individual traders have one. Getting one now and moving at your convenience over time is something to consider.

3 Likes