Which butter or spread do you prefer?

What reason was given for this?

2 Likes

This provides an explanation to why some NZ butter is easier to spread

In summary
'Spreadable butter is made from the same raw materials as is all butter - cream and salt. The secret to spreadable butter lies in physically removing those parts of the cream which make ordinary butter too hard to spread at fridge temperature.’

4 Likes

We buy butter blocks that get used for most of our needs and ‘soft spreads’ for the exceptions. The ‘too hard problem’ is easily resolved by taking the butter out of the fridge ~30 minutes prior, and by the time it is needed it is as soft as. So long as it does not sit out for days at a time there should be no worries. Perusing the net shows as many ‘keep it in the fridge’ as ‘OK on the counter’ opinions and the preponderance is that there are no worries for allowing it to stand on the counter to soften prior to use.

2 Likes

Does NZ butter have olive oil added?

Which butter?

As oulined above/my previous post, some NZ companies use a process which removes the compounds which make butter hard when cooled. It is butter
without these compounds but is easier to spread when chilled.

1 Like

Not as far as I know. Apparently it is spreadable because they take some of the cream out of it. They advertise it as pure butter. You have a choice either, salted, low salt or unsalted. I wish an Australian Company would make it. I do prefer to shop Australian made.

1 Like

It states that is has no additives - except differing amount of sale.

Can we buy it here? I looked at the article and the container looked familiar.

Yes. At least Mainland spreadable butter fits the description, available from the usual supermarkets. There are many similar “butters” that contain vegetable oil. I don’t know why they are unacceptable. {Edit: It is twice the price of basic butter though}

1 Like

Spreads.

Rather than butter Chris’ Traditional Hommus works well on many rolls and sandwiches. Not so useful with marmalade on toast, but does toast really need butter?

Avocado which remains super plentiful and very affordable at present makes another healthy alternative mashed and spread thinly across the toast or bread.

I’m thinking I could home make a more plain flavoured chickpea paste to suit a wider choice of fillings.

But would that reduce the gas?

Canned or dried?

Most butters in Australia include some type of vegetable oil. I would prefer to purchase Australian made butter, however, the NZ (Mainland) Coles and Woolworths) butter has been the only one I have been able to find without any oil additives and also is spreadable. I haven’t been able to find the salt free for quiet awhile now, but I get the low salt. It may be a bit more expensive than some of the others but for healtyh sake it is worth it. Dr Gundry on the Keto diet recommends ghee, but I haven’t tasted that.

Not that I have seen unless they have some qualifier in the name such as ‘spreadable’. If it is just butter it has no vegetable oil. It is easy enough to read the pack in any case.

Ghee is clarified butterfat. You heat butter until it melts and the water and lactose etc separate from the fat. It has some of the flavour of butter and can be used for frying as the milk solids have been removed so they do not burn. If you like the flavour of burned butter (as in every other sauce in masterchef) don’t use it.

Why is the presence of vegetable oil a problem? Most dietitians and nutritionists recommend olive oil as part of a balanced diet as a component of your fat intake. Why do you exclude it?

1 Like

Right, must try it, I prefer butter but avoid the spreadables because I assume they are full. of veg oils or whatever.

Olive oil is fine, but general veg oils are not. I don’t like olive oil though :slight_smile:

Why?

In my case, y diabetic educators and dieticians swear that cholesterol is more likely to become problematical is you use veg oils. I prefer them. I just don’t use them anymore. Coconut oil works

This is odd. The Australian Dietary Guidelines tell us that excess consumption of saturated fats are associated with and produce high blood cholesterol levels, which in turn increase the risk of cardiovascular disease.

In general animal fats are more highly saturated than vegetable fats. Noted exceptions are that the vegetable oil from coconuts and palm oil are high in saturated fat. So your dietitian is telling you to eat saturated fats in preference. It seems strange that they take this contrary view. Do they give a reason?

Not really. But when I think about it, they also recommend more carbs than I am comfortable with. Can I go back to using veg oil now please?