Where are Quilton Tissues made?

I thought I should bring to your attention that Quilton lies about where its tissues are made. They are all made in China and shipped out here in large rolls where they are broken down into consumer-sized packaging. They further claim it is an Australian company, which it is not. It is owned by a Chinese businessman.

Hi @john.fry47, welcome to the community.

Do you have links to reliable websites that show Quilton isn’t Australian owned, but owned by a Chinese businessman?

Quilton is a fully owned subsidiary of ABC Tissues Pry Ltd. Quilton website states:

For the record, Quilton is proudly Australian Owned. To be precise ABC Tissue P/L ( who make Quilton) is 97.7% Australian owned.

ABC Tissues was founded by Henry Ngai who is an distinguished Australian businessman. This is confirmed by

Henry Ngai, founder of ABC Tissue Products, has been awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) in this year’s Queen’s Birthday Honours list. Mr Ngai was recognised for his service to his business and to the community.

Orders of Australia can only be awarded to Australians.

Henry Ngai passed away in 2018 and the company is still locally owned employing about 660 people.

3 Likes

I too went looking for evidence and couldnt find anything except that the owner of the domains is Alfie Ly, whoever he may be. Itss not enough, though. Its true that the products may be sourced OS before conversion to tissue, toilet paper or whatever, but again… not really enough

2 Likes

The company is Australian owned. There are no claims of product of Australia or made from …. on the packaging of our TP long rolls from Woolies.

I was wondering about the product source as some packets of rolls are embossed and inked while others are embossed with no ink. My testing procedure suggests these are two papers which differ in texture/strength.

Local and imported materials used!

Conversion is one of those terms that is poorly defined. Sugars or chocolates can be converted to other phases/forms without adding any other ingredient. People can also be converted to cyber men. (SciFi only).

P.S. (edit added)
Shop Ethical has a “B” rating for Australian owned ABC Tissue.
https://guide.ethical.org.au/company/?company=26

6 Likes

As there is pressure to end native forest logging industry in Australia, there is a possibility that Australia’s reliance on imported products will increase.

1 Like

There is definitely no tissue machine in Australia providing tissue raw material to Quilton. It is all imported. Some of their products claim they are Australian-made when they are not. From memory, their tissues claim this.

It would be interesting to know if Alfie Ly is an Australian or Chinese citizen.

Why would the nationality of the person who registered the domains be important? Australian companies employ people of many nationalities.

3 Likes

There are many products that are made from, or contain, a mix of local and imported ingredients. Quilton products claim to be Australian owned, where does it say they are Australian made? The two are not the same.

2 Likes

Their tissues say they are Australian-made when they are not.

It is important because they claim they are an Australian-owned company when they are not. They are owned by a Chinese businessman.

I cannot find that claim anywhere. Repeating your claim will not make it any truer so would you provide your source? Every one I could find reflects the snip @mark_m posted above.

eg All Quilton products are proudly manufactured or converted in Australia from local and imported materials at our high-tech facilities in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth.

There are no other claims about being ‘Australian made’ in text I could find nor by claims via the labelling for Australian product.

And again, For the record, Quilton is proudly Australian Owned. To be precise ABC Tissue P/L ( who make Quilton) is 97.7% Australian owned. So cite your evidence. It is possible/probable that 97.7% ownership comprises people of many nationalities living in Australia.

FWIW, ASIC lists an ABC Tissue Products P/L as an Australian Private Company. Searching by ABN shows Quilton as an Other Unincorporated Entity so I accept its underlying ownership could be taken as somewhat opaque.

2 Likes

How do you know that? It is a private company, how do you know who the shareholders are?

Who is that person, what is his/her name?

“Their tissues say they are Australian-made when they are not.”

Where specifically do they say the tissues are Australian made?

1 Like

I have worked in the paper industry for 40 years and that is how I know that none of their product is made here.

Depending on your definition of “made” that may be true but so far you have given no reason to say the products are claimed by the maker to be made here so they have not made any false statement.

Nor have you confirmed that the companies are owned by a Chinese man. It may be common gossip in the paper industry but that is all.

Perhaps it is time to leave this?

1 Like

As there has been no cited substantiation nor specifics other than an anecdotal claim and the discussion has become repetitive, I am closing this topic.

4 Likes