When oregano is not oregano

Following a CHOICE investigation, the ACCC has fined another oregano seller - Hoyt’s Foods - with a $10,800 penalty for selling adulterated oregano.

Hoyt’s has also agreed to change its supply arrangements and indicated it would test its oregano products in the future.

4 Likes

Pretty paltry fine, but at least there’s some acknowledgement of problems.

1 Like

Isn’t “the Australian Way” historically one of education and carrot, carrot, carrot with no stick? Perhaps an overreaction the other way from the early convict days when the slightest transgression resulted in draconian punishment.

It seems just a few years ago the worst penalty was a firm but not stern dressing down.

I reckon $10,800 would not be even close to the ill gotten profits, and the guilty have their bonuses and are laughing to the bank. This makes a limp spaghetti lashing look quite serious in comparison :frowning:

2 Likes

Oregano the Herb is so easily grown in the garden or a pot. Better than buying these products containing chemicals and inexpensive.

2 Likes

Hi there well how is this for misleading consumers a baked product from iga which i will mention they proclaim to be a premium baked product called a cherry baked slice with chocolate on top ok. I bought it and tried it to see what is was like and noticed the cherry red part of it wasn’t actually even cherries.Seemed to me when i checked the ingredients didst even mention cherries on the back of the packaging. Im quite sure there were no cherries it was just a coloring and furthermore i didnt like the taste of it thats me personally. How can they get away with that even a normal bakery product seems to have cherries with the ones i have bought before. That is pretty bad if you ask me a few of there baked products are not that good but some are quite good.That is misleading if you ask me just as much as these herb products.

4 Likes

They get away with it because until now we have not had a coherent and organised forum like this one .

3 Likes

Yesterday I boght one Oregano which does not smells like oregano and don’t tastes like that. It looks like some shredded grass. The brand of this product is Masterfoods. I trully don’t know what is inside that and I will trow it away. I am sad!

Welcomme to the Community @henrique

Masterfoods is a reliable brand so I would be surprised if your bottle did not contain oregano but regardless you should be contacting the shop you bought it from w/receipt in hand to discuss it with their service counter for a refund or replacement. In addition to your observation is the product still within its ‘best by’ or ‘use by’ date for example? Some shops are more judicious about taking out-of-date stock off their shelves than others, and old enough products can taste ‘off’.

Secondly you should also raise your concern with Masterfoods directly as it could be a bad batch or a QA failure from their own supplier. There is a form and phone listed on their website. Using the phone to discuss issues is usually better with most companies in my experience.

Edit: Your Masterfoods oregano might be fine; it might just be a different species and thus taste than you are familiar with and expecting?

Please let us know how you go.

1 Like