When discount prices do not show at the check out

I did a small item shopping that was discounted at BigW.
At the check out the price scanner showed the original price instead. After confirming the discounted price on the shelf, the shop assistant manually plugged in the discounted price and told me to pay that amount. I thought in this situation I should get the item for free and expressed that to the shop assistant to no avail. Had I not paid attention to the price I would have paid the higher price. Are there any rules around this kind of issue?

4 Likes

All depends on whether or not BigW has signed up to the voluntary scanning code of practice as to getting an item for free if scanned incorrectly. You would have to ask them if they have done that. And anyway, there are exclusions such as liquor, items over a certain amount, and others.

Generally though, the price you pay is the advertised shelf price if a scanning discrepancy occurs.

4 Likes

The scan error code where a customer may get the first item scanned at a higher price, free, applies to supermarkets who have signed up to the voluntary code.

It doesn’t apply to non-supermarket retailers such as Big W, Kmart, Bunnings, Myer etc. These retailers can rightly adjust an incorrect price at the checkout and/or reimburse the price difference if the price discrepancy is noticed on the tax invoice after purchase.

Choice has covered the scanned price error code in this article:

4 Likes

The policy applies to groceries, not other goods.

Really!!!???

If we are talking about the Supermarket code of conduct, which excludes some things like alcohol and tobacco and is voluntary, it is about groceries. If you are in a shop that has not volunteered it doesn’t apply.

According to the ACCC:

Current signatories to the code

The following grocery retailers and wholesalers have signed up and are bound by the code:

• ALDI (retailer) - signed up on 15 June 2015
  • Coles Supermarkets Australia (retailer) - signed up on 1 July 2015
  • Woolworths Limited (retailer) - signed up on 1 July 2015
  • Metcash Food and Grocery Pty Ltd (wholesaler) - signed up on 30 September 2020.
3 Likes

Actually Aldi did the same thing to me about a year or so ago. I didn’t think they were signatory to the code. So, I didn’t even consider raising the matter. What could have I done anyway?

You could (and should) have approached the checker or manager and asked for a refund for the incorrectly charged item.

1 Like