What's the best instant coffee?

I know coffee connoisseurs might consider the instant variety the devil’s work, and if that’s you, then you may want to jump straight over to our coffee machine review (member content) and skip this thread.

However, if you dabble with instant coffee or occasionally go for the hard stuff at your workplace or in a pinch, then our latest review might be interesting to you. We had a panel of experts blind taste test 18 supermarket instant coffees, from brands including Aldi, Coles, Nescafe, Moccona and Lavazza, to see which one tantalises the tastebuds.

Here’s what we found:

Here’s some more detailed commentary around the best instant coffees, how we tested, caffeine levels and more:

What’s your go-to instant coffee?

3 Likes

Mr Z (the coffee drinker) initially likes an instant coffee and then goes off it. I bought a tin of Bushell’s Classic and he liked it so much he asked me to get more. I had to wait for it (only stocked when in catalogue) and got 3 tins on special. He only started the first tin when he went off it. I donated the rest to a Men’s group.

Had Alcafe at a cousin’s, he raved over it and she gave him all her bottles. Had it at home and didn’t like it. We are both on tank water etc, so I can only assume our bird poo & possum piddle is different.

Nescafe Blend 43 - he liked until I got another jar. He went off it.

Moccona 5 - Initially liked it, but then said it was too bland.

International Roast (Rust) - his go-to favourite in the large tin. He goes off that but returns to it in between other fancies.

He is now into Coffee sachets - Cappuccino $0.41/cup

7 Likes

At home I only use instant occasionally but keep it for guests who might not be comfortable to drink my Moka Express coffee. But a while back when looking for instant coffee to take on one of my travels I came across Lavazza Prontissimo and chose it on the basis of being in a smallish, non-breakable container, easy to pack in my check-in luggage. But then I was surprised and impressed by the full, rich coffee flavour. A bit pricey at $11.00 for 95g.

My second favourite is Coles Organic Freeze Coffee, made in Germany from unspecified countries of origin ingredients, $4.00 per 100g. Makes a good cup of coffee, especially for the price.

5 Likes

I was discussing the review with a family member whose ‘office’ tried the top rated instant and their conclusion was ‘similar to brewed dirt’. I did not ask for the sensory standard for that but assume at least one of them had experience, hopefully unintended.

They are fans of Moccona Classic 8 that was not included.

7 Likes

2 heaped teaspoons, a dash or no milk, no sugar …

3 Likes

You cannot honestly tell me there is a drinkable version on the market, if that is all you could get, I would swear off coffee for life!!

1 Like

Depends for how long one has gone without. I’ve worked on remote sites for weeks at a time. Alcohol free no problem. Caffeine abstinence? There is no such thing as a bad cup of coffee. I’d rate the sachets of Nescafé as a fair choice. Freeze dried in a jar better. Not sure whether the coffee bag or fancy single serve infusion bags are really instant. With all what I missed most is real milk or even long life milk for that latte inspiration. The powdered whitener just did not do it for me.

3 Likes

Mark, in the same situation as you, I would succumb as well I am sorry to say. I guess its an addiction without a doubt. When people tell me they do not drink tea or coffee, I feel confused, have they not tried either, is it a religious thing (I know in some cases it is) or do they just not like the taste. I am on my third machine now, as I no longer drive, its just amazing the quality of the coffee from certain options we have nowdays.

Moccona 5 medium roast.

2 Likes