What makes a good landlord?

We hear a lot about conflicts between tenants and landlords, and the anxiety that can come with being a renter. Landlords cop a lot of flak, but I thought it might be worth sharing the stories of people who do the right thing, and actually provide a good service to tenants.

• Renters, have you ever had a landlord that went above and beyond?
  • If you own an investment property, what do you do to keep your customers happy?

In short, what do you think makes a good landlord?

4 Likes

Someone who appreciates a good tenant. Fixes what needs fixed, doesnt raise rent unreasonably, and shows some flexibility if the tenant has the occasional issue making rent on time ie health issues etc.

I was in one property for 10yrs rent went from $310 at start and was $330 when i left. I also got behind in rent after motorbike accident and unable to work while recovering but made good as soon as able.

The next property was $470 a week and i was there 2.5yrs no rent increase, but i looked after place, fixed up garden, etc. When it was sold the selling agents even gave me reference lol And owner thanked me for leaving it looking good.

Next property, i was only at a year but am now back with same agency in another place i recently moved to. So they must have been happy with me.

It works both ways. Tenants are as much an investment as the property. Treat them well, as humans not scum, communicate honestly and appreciate them and uvwill have a tenant who will treat ur home as their own.

Attitude. Some landlords “get it”, others get shit tenants.

3 Likes

I have been a landlord but not a tenant and agree with @Khary. I good landlord is also one who would put the tenant’s shoes on and responds the way they would like to be done to them if they were a tenant.

Unfortunately, there are many landlords (that being the owner of a rental property who also property manages it) who should also not be the property manager. I have friends who I have recommended getting an independent property manager to take over the day to day management. They appeared to get worked up and stressed about any complaint/issue raised by their tenant and also having to spend money on maintenance…even though the money would have needed to be spent should they have lived in the house themselves. I said let someone who knows the ins and outs and also what is reasonable in relation to both the tenant and landlord, to manage it on their behalf. The modest costs more than compensates for the lower stress and also greater enjoyment of life.

1 Like

I’ve just looked at the new www.rentwell.community site, put in some dummy data and had an interview regarding DIY landlords. I have both rented and landlorded.
What makes a good landlord - I am on friendly terms with my tenants, that means they feel comfortable approaching me for issues and to let me know things are going OK, or they have fixed something. I don’t do formal inspections, but look at what I am shown when invited (I trust them). I have a schedule of works which means floor coverings, blinds, curtains etc get replaced, so the place is always in good condition.

My tenants know that my house is in poorer condition than theirs, and the rent is below the usual rate. When appliances eg dishwasher need to be replaced I will look through Choice test & reliability and get what suits them - This worked out cheaper, after going through 3 dishwashers in 3 years with my agent, I became a DIY, paid a little more and this one has lasted 4+ years.

I accept that kids will draw on or collide with walls, and don’t expect a professional repair after every scratch, I’m happy to wait till they grow out of it and my tenants repair it when confident. Tenants can be messy without damaging the property (something the agent never understood). For long term tenants I let them choose tiles, colours, carpet; saying “you’ve got to live with it” and all have been very happy to do that, in fact loved the opportunity, it’s like home ownership for low income owners.

Responsive to financial issues, both ways - my tenants know that I am currently living off savings (can’t get a job) so hold off on requests for another garage. I have reduced rent, given a rent holiday in return for what they are able to provide while incapacitated. For one low income tenant, I approached his employer and had his rent salary sacrificed, in effect releasing a little more into his paypacket.

I am getting on, so we’ve had the conversation with our long term tenants about what they want. We sold one house to the tenant for what it cost to buy and maintain, which was about a quarter of it’s valuation, other tenants are unsure, so if I die they will be offered the house at half valuation before going to beneficiaries who will most likely sell at market value. My houses are in small towns, so values are low. Most I bought to live in because my employer would not provide accommodation as I was a single female, and rented them when I left and eventually sold when vacant.

For the most part my tenants were good, but had the odd bad apple.

3 Likes

I was a landlord for two years, and it’s likely I’ll become a landlord again next year (while I try to save some money).

The most valuable thing in my mind is to have long term tenants. There’s nothing more frustrating than having to re-advertise and worrying if you will have a gap between tenants. I had three sets of tenants in two years, but each moved for reasons other than being unhappy with the place, so there wasn’t much I could do about it. Nothing would have made me more happy than to have the same tenants for the whole time. I wouldn’t raise rent for good, stable tenants, and in turn the stability of not having rent increases every six months is good for the tenant.

The other thing I’d say is vital is having a good property manager if you don’t have the time to DIY. I had a good property manager that fixed what needed to be fixed in a timely manner for the tenants - that in turn kept them happy. Another example - my parents are also landlords and live in the building. They have a property manager to collect rent and do the necessary legal requirements, but they do all the maintenance on the place themselves. They keep the building in pristine condition because they live there and that seems to make the tenants happy - anything that needs fixing is done straight away as they can knock on the door and ask for it to be fixed. Obviously not a feasible solution for everyone, but that proximity is really useful.

3 Likes

I agree, someone who appreciates a good tenant, fixes things when they go wrong.

Our daughter rents privately which we know can be a minefield but try renting with three small children! These landlords live close by and her rent has actually dropped during her three years tenancy when rents in the area decreased; they know how it is much easier to keep a good tenant.

Plus agree with the comment owners who are flexible when things go pear shaped in their tenants life. Going so far as to provide some initial meals when she suffered an accidental injury.

Yes its a mine field out there but there are many great property owners as well as the rip off merchants.

1 Like

Like many above I think a good landlord is one who responds to maintenance requests quickly, is in for the long haul (long term tenancies), helps their tenants be good tenants (responds “early on” and in positive ways to working with the tenants through issues that arise), and who appreciate their good tenants.

When working with the tenants over issues it may finally require the removal of the tenant but I think some landlords bring about, or heavily contribute to, the poor outcomes they experience, but nor are all tenants good tenants.

2 Likes

You are an incredible person x

This video is from France I wonder if it could be done here without being prosecuted for littering or worse. The landlord has style! (if not recompense) :wink:

http://77recipes.com/landlord-gathers-up-mess-left-behind-by-former-tenants-dumps-in-front-of-their-new-home/

4 Likes