What is your most expensive grooming aid?

Wonder which is your most expensive beauty aid @NayA ? :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Did you get the gold crown back or do dentists keep them to fund their Xmas parties?

My L’Occitane “addiction”! I started using their face care products this year and I now have the best skin I’ve ever had since my 30s (now 51).

Yes, most of the creams, oils and serums are over $100 a pop BUT the oil is one drop at a time, the face wash cream is a very small smear to get a great lather and clean. So expensive to buy but economical in use and value for money.

I adore their almond hand cream and have bought a tool that crimps the metal tube to get every last scrap of cream out of the tube. I also love the fact that L’Occitane have a recycling scheme with discount for next purchase as well as refill options for some products like hand wash and shower gels/oils.

I don’t drink much these days, never smoked and I needed a vice!

8 Likes

Oh I kept that tooth! I still have my wisdom teeth in a specimen bottle too. Proof they were removed and to “keep my wisdom”. :sunglasses::joy::rofl:

7 Likes

Thank you for this tip ! It’s the first I have heard of this product.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Why do you waste so much money on treatments that are not essential? Just how vain are you?

1 Like

Not quite sure what you are referring to
@algemyone :thinking:

3 Likes

Sorry. I meant the original few entries about skin cream and such.

2 Likes

taking good care of our skin is a Virtue not a Vice :laughing:

5 Likes

I think it’s more all the other things I buy there that makes it a vice! :rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::sunglasses:

6 Likes

This would be it, and at least today it is on sale at a price that reflects the everyday US price of $USD80+taxes, adjusted for xrates. I can attest $180 was the local price for years. Mine has a US plug :wink:

It might finally be getting superseded?

5 Likes

I absolutely love my “la prairie” foundation and buy it again although it is VERY expensive… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Good grooming starts with a good wash,
but which cleanser is best? :thinking:

3 Likes

The article doesn’t talk much about the importance of the hardness or softness (mineral content) of the water supply or the pH (acidic vs basic). How a particular choice of soap product may suit and the effects on the skin of the water could be expanded. Does it matter? Not a complete answer.

After some dermatological issues and professional medical help, I found products such as QV Gentle Wash worked best. Around $20 per litre, price varies depending on store and sales. In hindsight I suspect I spend more each year on this product than shaving gel, but per 100ml, the gel is still gold.

P.S.
Does maintaining an off grid water supply with better quality water (debatable for some) also count towards the cost of looking good out of the shower? :scream::roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I have visitors who take home large bottles of my tank water as they say it is better to wash skin and hair and tastes nice. By the time they get it home it has quite a few ‘food miles’ so it is expensive as water goes. Not as expensive a commercial bottled water. At up to $6 a litre I think first some buyers have no brains at all and second that I have a few quid in my tanks.

Does anybody here use bottled water for grooming?

3 Likes

Thank you @mark_m, interesting observation.

My aim in finding out which cleanser is most used, is to follow up with the in topic: What is the most expensive gel… soap… etc. :laughing:

3 Likes

I have been using Dove bars for showering for around 20 years and find them much better than soap.

My wife used to use them but she now uses body wash.

We use Dettol foaming antibacterial hand wash for washing our hands.

3 Likes

From an environmental perspective, I have an aversion to liquid soaps and gels, as transporting all that water around seems wasteful. But have I got it wrong ? Is there something nasty about the production of soap bars that I should know about ?

I suffer from atopic dermatitis, and I use as little soap as possible, and never use the anti-bacterial washes.

5 Likes

Yes, it may seem like that on face value, however… but we find that a cake of soap lasts about 4 days where a 1L liquid body wash (about 1kg) lasts about 5-6 weeks. Over 5-6 week period, we would use around 9-11 soap bars (800-1050gms for the same period of a bar is 90-100gms). The weight savings appear to be negligible along with the volume savings in transporting soap or liquid body wash.

3 Likes