What is your most expensive grooming aid?

To take care of our appearance and personal hygiene we need our health and beauty aids:

• hair products (shampoos,conditioners, gels, oils…)

• dental care ( toothpaste mouthwash…)

• beauty preparations ( make-up, day/night creams, moisturisers, serums…)

• personal hygiene ( deodorant, shower gel, bath soap…)

I use a face serum which I swear by, comes in a 30ml tube and costs about $70.00 when not on special. Not the most dear one as serums go, but it’s my most expensive beauty preparation.

I was under the impression that “miracle working” face creams would be the most expensive products, but I just saw an Ad for a toothpaste with a price tag well over $200 for small tube.

What is your most expensive grooming aid?

Do you have a favourite product which you would buy no matter the cost?

5 Likes

No. A cheap hairbrush every few years, white un-perfumed no-names soap, standard toothpaste etc. I could replace any one of them with a lookalike and not care.

2 Likes

It has to be my curry comb.

They are hard to find these days.

7 Likes

A Visage Beard Trimmer and personal grooming kit . I had boiling water thrown in my face when I was in my twenties so grew a beard to cover the scars . Laser surgery was a no go . I have purchased many very expensive brands over the years but the Visage from Aldis , retail around $29.00 when on the special buy rotation , is the best I have ever owned .

7 Likes

Clear shaving gel - Natio in a plastic tube (does not foam or lather). Zero skin irritation and just a little goes a long way without the mess of the foam in a can. I did find a similar product by one of the everyday brand names, Schick in Japan for a fraction of the unit price. It’s in a tube. It’s not the same as the Hydro stuff sold locally that foams from a pressure can. Not a supermarket or chemist shop staple here.

SPF 50+ sun block a close second

Hair brush and comb optional!

3 Likes

I use only soft or super soft toothbrushes, there are some foreign imports that are medium or hard even when the packet states Soft and these are avoided. So mostly our Australian normal brands just whatever is cheapest when we need to buy a few replacements (we store spares).

Toothpastes are all Sensitive type treatment ones, don’t particularly like Colgate’s offerings but Sensodyne, Oral B are usually great for us. We buy when they are on special and again we buy a few spares.

So no really expensive buys when it comes to grooming, I find the ALDI Prince razors quite good and the replacement blade prices are very good so maybe that’s our most expensive at $7 a packet of blades, I would probably buy them in preference to other brands even if cost was comparable. My spouse also uses the Men’s razor system from ALDI as she doesn’t find the feminine branded ones as effective in real life use no matter how well they are promoted.

4 Likes

Just out of curiosity Mark: how do you manage to choose whether you’ll do a brush and comb or not? :laughing:

2 Likes

That would be the hair brush my wife bought for me recently, $16.80.
It doesn’t have to work too hard though, on account of the missing hair on top!

4 Likes

Vanity - I like to think I still have a choice. :joy:

4 Likes

No, nothing at all.

1 Like

Cocoa based toothpaste.
Magic anti-aging ingredient: Caviar.
Colloidal platinum for the skin…
all high price grooming ingredients…

2 Likes

Fascinating! Sensodyne does SFA for my sensitive teeth, the only ones that work are the very expensive Colgate Pro versions. (The standards are OK sometimes, but when I get a savage tooth pain, colgate sensitive pro multi-protect is the only thing that works for me)

Very soft toothbrushes and bamboo toothbrushes (which are soft anyway) are also favourite things. The Colgate soft toothbrushes are not. Oral B soft works for me, or as said, bamboo.

2 Likes

Everything that SueW said. I use Colgate Pro toothpaste for my sensitive teeth at night, and ALDI’s sensitive toothpaste in the morning. I find once a day with Colgate is enough to keep the sensitivity at bay.

I buy the Oral B soft brush heads for our electric toothbrush. I made the mistake of buying what appeared to be totally genuine ones on eBay, but although the packaging appeared to be 100% genuine, and the heads looked the same, they would become really loose after just a few days, and start to pinch the inside of my cheek. Perhaps they were factory seconds…

Oh, and my expensive aid is my Panasonic electric razor. From memory, I’m on my third one in about 30 years. Before then I used a Braun.

4 Likes

Try Tooth mousse for your teeth, while it isn’t a Sensitive Tooth prep it does help reduce the problems.

We use the non fluoridated one which means you can leave it in your mouth overnight and or swallow it.

Colgate’s offerings if missed lead to rapid onset of pain, the Sensodyne and Oral B use a nitrate compound which takes time to build up effectiveness (it basically reduces the pain signals), so if switching from Colgate and moving to the others there is a period where it isn’t pain free. Colgate uses a silver compound along with an insoluble Calcium compound instead of the nitrate. These silver and calcium compounds fill/block the channels that go through the dentine very quickly and allow pain relief almost immediately, so when swapping to nitrate based relief the silver and calcium compounds are slowly lost and the nitrate doesn’t yet reduce the pain signals until a few days have passed. Because of this delayed action some people think the nitrate based are not working.

A listing of reviews into Tooth Mousse and the effective compound Casein phosphopeptide-stabilized amorphous calcium phosphate (CPP-ACP or just often called ACP), some of which look into the anti sensitivity benefit of the compound/product.

8 Likes

What I really need is to make an appointment with the dentist and start getting the work done that I need. One extraction (because I cannot afford the expense of root canal) and some other basic stuff. In the meantime I’ll make do with sensitvie toothpastes. I’ll give sensodyne another go, but I did use it for a long time until it stopped working for me.

Tooth Mousse? Hmmm…

3 Likes
3 Likes

$US 125 per small tube plus postage certainly qualifies. According to my sums that is about $180 AUD per 100 grams. Standard toothpaste is around $2 to $5 per 100g and premium toothpaste about $17.

The blurb reads like a thinly disguised anti-fluoride rant. All the hysterical warnings are carefully qualified with “may”, “could” etc. They also make claims that the products’ efficacy is supported by evidence but then doesn’t provide anything of any substance. The staff of the company claim to have more letters after their names than a bowl of alphabet soup.

If it walks like a duck, waddles and poops all over the place its quackery.

7 Likes

The SMH had a recent article about the emergence of ‘health wellbeing toothpastes’…

It appears the science behind claims been made isn’t supported by strong science, unlike fluoride which is known and has proven to be an effective treatment to inprove teeth health and reduce decay.

These are ‘hope’ products…one hoping they work and hope they don’t lead to longterm teeth problems. If they do lead to longterm teeth health issues, does one think these companies will still be around to take action against?

6 Likes

I often wonder that a huge price tag
tries to lend substance to unsubstantiated claims :laughing:

5 Likes

Having undergone 3 rounds of root canal on one tooth over 2 years followed by the gold crown, the tooth died and had to be pulled. The pain of root canal compared to extraction… I’ll take the extraction every day and pocket the money saved.

7 Likes