What food can't you go without at Christmas?

An article regarding a NZ woman preparing Xmas lunch for 8 persons for $115, along with her menu.

https://kitchen.nine.com.au/entertaining/feed-your-family-christmas-dinner-for-15-per-head/46015066-f52f-41ca-a628-28fc2f8485ef

It actually sounds more interesting than the Royal Family’s Xmas lunch.

https://honey.nine.com.au/royals/what-the-royal-family-eat-on-christmas/070f1e4f-b2ac-4e36-a374-51d6a7aa3554

2 Likes

An article regarding safety tips on handling, cooking and storing poultry.

https://kitchen.nine.com.au/in-season/dont-wash-your-chicken/71a05be6-57a7-4883-9320-e99b7a29fcab

Personally, I do not agree with not washing out the cavity of poultry, especially when it is going to be stuffed.

I wash it in the sink and then dry it thoroughly with 4 double sheets of paper towel which I then wash, wring out and dispose of.

Anything used with raw poultry gets scrubbed in the sink before being placed in the dishwasher.

No cross-contamination at our place.

2 Likes

For anyone who still needs to prepare stuffing for their poultry today, here is the link to our recipe that I posted previously under another topic.

And if you are reading this this morning, you probably need to get moving if you want to eat your Xmas dinner today. We prepared our stuffing yesterday.

PS. I heard that Brendan will be awarding the new Choice Community Tragic Badge to anyone who visits the website today, tomorrow or New Years Day, and anyone who visits all 3 days will be upgraded to the Tragic Champion badge.

2 Likes

Despite the fiasco involved in buying a ham from Woollies on Monday which I posted under another topic, the Woolworths Essentials half leg ham I bought is the best ham that my wife and I have ever tasted, and with Woollies offer of $10 off, it worked out to be around only $6.80/kg.

I strongly suspect that all the Woollies and Coles brand hams, and probably IGA brand ones too, are produced by Bertocchi, not just because of the quality, but as they are probably the only Australian producer to have sufficient capacity to supply the supermarket brands as well as their own, and they have single, double and triple smoked versions just like Woollies and Coles do.

3 Likes

After reading your post about $10 off some hams, we decided to go to Woollies on Christmas Eve (a short walk as parking would have been painful) and take up the offer. We bought a semi-boneless shoulder ham which was marked as $25.03 for $15.03. This worked out being about $5.10/kg.

As it can take a while to consume a whole ham, we have cut it into three and frozen the two bits without the bone.

The ham is as good as other similar hams available in supermarkets, but significantly cheaper.

3 Likes

Just came across these reviews of custards by Choice on another website.

And the articles on the Choice website.

Too late for your Xmas dinner but you can probably get them heavily discounted whilst stocks last.

1 Like

Don’t forget you need to visit this website tomorrow, Boxing Day and New years Day to qualify for the Tragic Awards.

Merry Xmas everyone.

2 Likes