As some Choice Community members may like a great recipe for the stuffing for their Xmas poultry, I have shared our secret family recipe.
I adapted it from a flyer I picked up at a former Brumby’s store many years ago, and which we have used ever since for stuffing for chickens, ducks and turkey buffe’s.
POULTRY STUFFING RECIPE
8 – 12 thick slices of day-old bread.
1 onion, finely diced.
200 gm mushrooms, diced.
4 -6 cocktail truss tomatoes.
100 gm bacon or ham, chopped.
Freshly ground pepper.
- Tear bread slices into pieces and place in food processor in batches. Process each batch until it is all breadcrumbs. Place each batch in a large mixing bowl.
- Add mixed herbs, cracked pepper and salt, to taste, to bowl and mix through.
- Place a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan and heat. Fry onion until softened. Add to bowl and mix through.
- Add more olive oil if needed and add the bacon or ham. Cook until fragrant. Add to bowl and mix through.
- Add more butter if needed and add the mushrooms. Cook until softened and their colour changes. Add to bowl and mix through.
- Slice cocktail truss tomatoes, shake slices to remove seeds, and chop slices. Add to bowl and mix through.
- Add enough extra melted butter and mix through so stuffing is not dry.
- After stuffing the poultry, place any leftover stuffing on the underside of a piece of alfoil which has been wiped with olive oil. Add extra melted butter, chicken stock or water to moisten it. Fold into a rectangular parcel and wrap again in another piece of alfoil.
- Cook the leftover parcel of stuffing for around 30 mins and check if it is cooked. If not, cook until it is, whilst checking regularly.
- Add the cooked leftover stuffing to the stuffing removed from the poultry and mix together.
- We use Coles multigrain toast bread.
- We use Bertocchi bacon rashers or ham.
- We use Coles cocktail truss tomatoes.
- As we cook our poultry on our Weber, we cook the leftover stuffing in the oven when we are cooking the roast veggies.