Our Poultry Stuffing Recipe

As some Choice Community members may like a great recipe for the stuffing for their Xmas poultry, I have shared our secret family recipe.

I adapted it from a flyer I picked up at a former Brumby’s store many years ago, and which we have used ever since for stuffing for chickens, ducks and turkey buffe’s.

POULTRY STUFFING RECIPE

INGREDIENTS
8 – 12 thick slices of day-old bread.
1 onion, finely diced.
200 gm mushrooms, diced.
4 -6 cocktail truss tomatoes.
100 gm bacon or ham, chopped.
Butter.
Olive oil.
Mixed herbs.
Freshly ground pepper.
Salt.

METHOD

1. Tear bread slices into pieces and place in food processor in batches. Process each batch until it is all breadcrumbs. Place each batch in a large mixing bowl.
  2. Add mixed herbs, cracked pepper and salt, to taste, to bowl and mix through.
  3. Place a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan and heat. Fry onion until softened. Add to bowl and mix through.
  4. Add more olive oil if needed and add the bacon or ham. Cook until fragrant. Add to bowl and mix through.
  5. Add more butter if needed and add the mushrooms. Cook until softened and their colour changes. Add to bowl and mix through.
  6. Slice cocktail truss tomatoes, shake slices to remove seeds, and chop slices. Add to bowl and mix through.
  7. Add enough extra melted butter and mix through so stuffing is not dry.
  8. After stuffing the poultry, place any leftover stuffing on the underside of a piece of alfoil which has been wiped with olive oil. Add extra melted butter, chicken stock or water to moisten it. Fold into a rectangular parcel and wrap again in another piece of alfoil.
  9. Cook the leftover parcel of stuffing for around 30 mins and check if it is cooked. If not, cook until it is, whilst checking regularly.
  10. Add the cooked leftover stuffing to the stuffing removed from the poultry and mix together.

NOTES.

1. We use Coles multigrain toast bread.
  2. We use Bertocchi bacon rashers or ham.
  3. We use Coles cocktail truss tomatoes.
  4. As we cook our poultry on our Weber, we cook the leftover stuffing in the oven when we are cooking the roast veggies.
1 Like