Olive oil , Extra Virgin : What brand/s do you prefer to buy?

Mainly Red Island but if not available, any Australian grown, pressed and owned.

4 Likes

Mount Zee from Farmers’ Market

2 Likes

I buy Cobram Estate EVO also, mainly because it is an Australian made product, where as a lot of the other oils are imported, and, in the past, have been “dumped” in Australia well after there use by date.

2 Likes

Cobram in a 3l tin and decant

2 Likes

Locally produced from the local grower’s market in Denmark WA. Bring your own bottle and have it filled up. You can usually chose between single variety pressings.

2 Likes

I prefer cold pressed evoo, my favourite coming from Olio Bello in the beautiful Margaret River. This is expensive and I use it basically for marinating and dressings. For cooking whatever Aussie evoo is on special when I need to stock up.

2 Likes

Sounds really good . Thank you for the input .

1 Like

Yes the Margaret River is indeed beautiful . Thank you for advising us of this Olive oil .

2 Likes

I usually buy Moro extra virgin, and light (for cooking).

2 Likes

We use woolworths home brand.

2 Likes

Red Island brand Olive oil

3 Likes

We only ever buy Jingilli - in both the 500ML bottle and the 2L cask. We don’t like the cask much as it usually drips and leaks … and the carton is a bit of a mess by the time it’s finished. We buy this oil exclusively because for us it has to be Australian … and we prefer to avoid halal certification.

3 Likes

I tried Jingilli a while ago . Was ok . Good full flavour .

1 Like

The Olive Tree (an Aldi brand). Australian. 3 litres.

2 Likes

Cobram or Red Island for salads and light cooking

Rice bran oil oil for deep frying

4 Likes

Firstly thank you to everybody that took the time to post in this thread . Secondly I’m not involved with any marketing organisation and this is strictly a labour of love between myself and 3 friends . /

In the future one of them , a previous poster on this forum , hopes to condense a lot of the results into a Wiki type form and start a general buying guide on this forum. I hope all goes well for her ./

We had to naturally set up a criteria where we could make the results easy absorb and not be that long winded and technical that a science degree was needed to understand them ./

We chose 3 parameters 1 ) Presentation in shop . That is , how visible was the product .Did this contribute to its popularity or lack there of ./

2 ) Marketing . Not TV ads per say but the use of modern social media such as Youtube , Facebook etc ./

3 ) Price . Value for money as balanced against quality rendered .

By the posts given Australian EVO ( Extra Virgin Olive oil ) was the most popular . The eye level presentations at Coles and Woolies were for the majority Australian . Aldi mixed things up a bit .Local produce with imported . We mainly checked supermarkets out in the Western suburbs of Melbourne so that in itself adds variables . 10-15 years ago it was all imported EVO at eye level with the local product at foot or ankle level . Things seem to have changed . Our EVO industry has grown up ./

Marketing : Of all the EVO’s Cobram estate came out as the most popular . Cobram Estates Youtube presentations are very professionally made . They inform without being over technical and impart a feeling that this is the oil to buy . Great use of modern social media . Squeaky Gate and Red Hill also did a great job on Youtube but lacked the polish of Cobram Estate ./

Price: Again Cobram Estate seems to have found a happy medium price wise . Most Australian supermarket oils seem to fit the same parameter . Maybe if I was to do this post in a year Red Hill or Squeaky Gate would come out on top . In general all the EVO’s both local and imported offered good value at supermarket level . Unfortunately time and resources did not allow us to investigate more Boutique EVo’s ./

That’s the summation I will do on the post . I could have expanded it to many other parameters but did not want to produce a bloated document just repeating data already obvious within the posts … Thanks again to the posters and please keep the EVO 's you buy being listed here .

Mike

3 Likes

Great job Mike, look forward to seeing the buying guide come together :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Just in case it’s of interest to others commenting on this thread, here is our recent olive oil review.

2 Likes

Some nice results in there.

Was the line "She adds, “Minos is a quality EVVO product that has always passed lab tests to qualify it for EVOO status.” " correct or was EVVO and then EVOO a typing mistake on either of the acronyms?

2 Likes

Well spotted @grahroll. I think it may be a typo, we’ll update it asap.

2 Likes