Westpac Smart ATMs

I have used the new Smart ATM in my suburb twice now for cash deposits. The first time the machine did not count all my money and recorded that I deposited $150 less than the actual deposit. Only a thorough search of the machine a short time later by a manager who was willing to believe that I was telling the truth revealed my $150 caught up in the bowels of the machine.
I braved the ATM again today to deposit $1100. The machine could only add up to $200. It then spat out the remaining $900. The first $750 was returned, a moment later the next $100 was returned, then a final $50 was returned.
I am wondering if there are other people who have had similar experiences with these Smart ATMs!

8 Likes

Welcome to the forum Anna.

Your experiences aren’t a good indicator of the new “Smart” ATM.

At least you managed to get your money back. I imagine it may have been a lot more difficult to recoup your money if the branch was shut, or if the manager/staff weren’t so amenable.

8 Likes

Whilst living in Kobe, Japan in '93/'94, I used ATMs that could accept coins and notes for deposit, and count both on the spot. You could also insert your bank passbook and have it updated with the deposit details and new balance.

Of course, bank passbooks have since been consigned to history, but it seems that the manufacturer of the new Westpac ATMs has a way to go in catching up with the ‘latest’ technology.

8 Likes

I was very lucky the first time because when I made the cash deposit the manager was with me. By chance I had asked him to help me use the machine because I wasn’t having any luck on my own! As I was making the deposit he also noticed that the diagram showing where to input the cash did not match the actual chute that the money needed to go in.
I think it was only because he was there that he believed me. And to his credit he went and searched the machine twice before finding my money.
And an update on my attempted deposit this morning. When I went in to the back when it opened, to deposit my remaining cash, I told them what happened and I was told that it probably didn’t work because I had a combination of old and new $50 notes!

5 Likes

There’s no mention of this on their FAQs about Can I deposit money through an ATM?.

Does this mean their smart ATMs can’t cope with the new generation of $5, $10, & $50 banknotes?

5 Likes

@ScottOKeefe, why cast aspersion on the ATM manufacturer who apparently sells a pretty ordinary product when it is Westpac management who bought the things?

1 Like

I would phrase it as ‘the new smart ATM’s cannot reliably cope with Australian currency’. It could also be a subtle ploy to sell us on the ‘cashless society’ when all we have to worry about are systems down, NBN down, 
 chip errors, 
 , mobile services down, out of a service area, 
 and the banking system always gets a bit of the transaction fees unlike an ATM transaction that costs them a few cents.

3 Likes

On our much more recent trip to Japan cash was still common. The vending and ticket machines all worked flawlessly with cash in notes and coins. Change always appeared along with the promised goods. It was the same on numerous previous visits often to where few English speaking tourists ventured.

It would be interesting to know where and how Westpac’s ATM management team managers spend the holidays or conference trips, to have not experienced such wonders?

3 Likes