"Wellness" Crystals?

An article regarding “wellness” crystals.

“Would you like snake oil with that?”

6 Likes

Reminds me of an act I saw on TV years ago, of Penn and Teller in a cafe, with “Peruvian Healing Crystals” fixing a burnt finger from hot coffee.

Crystals are nice to look at, but a lot of people are seriously deluded regarding their “healing properties” etc.

8 Likes

Not if you keep them in a pyramid.

7 Likes

I have always thought wellness crystals a sham…mainly because even if they did we work, why would one need to buy one. The world’s soils and upper crust is full of similar crystals, albeit mostly smaller sized, and one would already receive the alleged benefits. Buying a ‘special’ crystal is about making another market for crystals, rather than being a magical tonic.

7 Likes

Studies have clearly shown it is nothing but placebo effect or confirmation bias that helps people who ‘use’ crystals.
Should these things even be on the market?
I personally can’t argue if it helps people, but the cost and value of these crystals - and additional things like books and services - is ridiculous, especially considering their health claims.

7 Likes

My Gran from the early years of the 1900’s had an Aladdin’s cave of variously hued clear cut beauties in a little box. She handled each with care, could attribute each with a particular memory, and generally enjoyed wearing her junk jewellery.

Some were cut crystal, some were just coloured glass. It didn’t seem to matter which.

Do you ban all crystal or similar products?
Swarovski might get a little upset. Or might they supply made to order replacements from recycled wine bottles? Guru or Shaman certified!

Certainly some might also suggest crystals do have mind altering and and perception changing properties. Mostly those profiting from the fantasy they are selling.

And there is always a genuine geological collectors market to provide for.

As the article @Fred123 references, it is the origins of many of the larger rock crystals that we need to be aware of. Which makes distinguishing between ethically sourced products for a discerning market, and exploitive suppliers for a market with doubtful benefits a challenge.

8 Likes

Sorry, to clarify I meant “wellness crystals” specifically. I have a neat collection of geodes, rocks, and minerals myself which are a bliss to find and collect on my walks.

7 Likes

Unfortunately, there is no limit on stupidity &/or gullibility. As long as people imbue “special” properties and abilities to objects, they have worth. And you can’t ban or remove from the market everything that gullible people believe in. [Case in point, spraying special water to ward off measles in Samoa.]

It seems that with the echo chamber of social media, the fallacious messages are spreading wider and faster. The only thing that MAY counter this pandemic is education. (I do not mean what is currently taught in schools, but teaching critical thinking, and scientific method etc.)

8 Likes

Speaking of “special water” there’s a man who sells “alkaline water” and machines to make the water alkaline each week at the local growers market.

I guess he hasn’t seen any analysis, or done his own, of the local water supply. I’ve seen the council analysis, and measured the pH myself. It’s generally around pH8.

It seems obvious to me that the machines give the water scam-like properties! :wink:

9 Likes

I had a friend who persisted in giving me crystals for birthdays and Xmas. dust gatherers!!

3 Likes

Perhaps a public marketing campaign rebranding them?

“Cursed Crystal”, “Bad Luck Crystal”, etc

With the counterpoint, “The crystal needs to choose the owner”. Best done by searching for your own crystal and digging it out of the ground at source. It not only sounds creditable, it would also require the prospective owner to travel to the source. Aside from adding more directly to the economy of these forgotten corners, experiencing first hand the local conditions might have another benefit. The “wellness crystal” acquires some moral qualities given the education the new owner gains in the process.

It should readily appeal to all Harry Potter fans and wand collectors.

P.S.
The preliminary visit to the local Travel Doctor might be as close as some get to realising their dream?

3 Likes

… one form of these are very real and are made from uric acid - truly bad and evil in the extreme (although arguably not ‘luck’) …

8 Likes

I’m goutful that they will be renamed. Unfortunately too many have to agree with your assessment of those crystals and their impact.

9 Likes

Even Peter Brock claimed that they could turn a dog of a car into a winner.

And Gyweth Paltrow can cure anything.

3 Likes

Interesting article. The author can’t make up her mind whether to put the slipper into Goop for selling fake medicine that is not substantiated or for appropriating traditional (non Western medicine) practices that Goop didn’t invent and charging too much for them. Maybe it would all be OK if Gwen admitted that as a white person she had stolen Vedic practices from the brown people.

“Perhaps this will give everyone access to a wellness system to help us live well, longer. This way, citizens are less likely to be driven towards opportunists such as Goop seeking to capitalise on our fundamental human right to live well.”

Is the problem what Gwen is selling or the obscene profit she makes out of stuff that is essentially in the public domain?

6 Likes

She seems to have learned much from the bottled water industry.

4 Likes

Some of Gwyneth Paltrow products sold under the Goop/goop label are sold here in Australia. This stuff needs to be investigated and if possible awarded a shonky as well as removed off the shelves if only we could. Mecca.com.au sell selected goop products here in Australia. Thankfully I haven’t found the candles for sale here, that supposedly one has the scent called “This smells like my orgasm” or the delightful (sarcasm) “This smells like my Vagina” one….I kid you not. The prices should be enough to scare off some but to some it would seem the attraction instead.

Watch this YouTube on the products (warning language used may offend)

Here is an article on the candles, and other goop stuff

3 Likes

Here is another article.

Caveat Emptor and keep a fire extinguisher handy?

1 Like