Weber BBQ'S & Service

Anyone else remember the Weber Q TV ads from a few years ago? The one with the yuppie who has a Weber Family Q at his luxury home but his favourite is the Weber Baby Q which he fills up the boot of his luxury Mercedes convertible with when he goes to his luxury beach house instead of simply buying a second Weber Family Q for the beach house.
Well contrary to his claim that he has never had a flareup or a fat fire, we did have a fat fire with our Weber Family Q last October whilst cooking a rolled pork roast. I could not extinguish the fat fire so I just had to let it burn out which caused the plastic frame that supports the cooker box to melt.
I contacted Weber and provided the requested photos and the serial number. Weber advised that they were shipping the necessary parts to facilitate the repair. When I asked how much it would cost me, they advised that there would be no charge as they were doing it under warranty even though it was 3.5 years old.
The parts arrived shortly afterwards and we carried out the repairs. I noticed that the new mounting frame for the cooker box had been redesigned, obviously to help ensure that the problem did not reoccur.
On a previous occasion, the electronic igniter failed. I contacted Weber and asked if they wanted a copy of the purchase invoice which they did not. A replacement igniter assembly arrived by courier the following day.
On a more recent occasion, a nephew bought a Weber Q on our recommendation. He also bought the new rotisserie for the Weber Q. I was considering purchasing the rotisserie and contacted Weber to request a user manual.
Weber promptly emailed a copy of the manual but advised me that they did not think the rotisserie would improve the roasts and that the rotisserie bastes the roasts constantly thus preventing the pork skin from crackling.
What fantastic service and honesty. It is the best customer service I have ever had.
Keep up the great work.

12 Likes

It’s why Weber has been around for so long and has so many imitators . After all they say " Imitation is the finest form of flattery " .

6 Likes

It is good to see that some companies who sell their products at a premium and under the quality banner, are willing to support defective products post sale.

While other companies also do similar, it would be great if they ALL adopted similar approaches when a design or manufacturing defect is raised later in life.

7 Likes

I’ve got the baby Q and matching stand. The legs were rusting on the stand and it was out of warranty. Weber sent me 4 x replacement legs
free of charge.
Well impressed!

9 Likes

Ahh, the joys of SEQ. Metal rusts quickly in the highly corrosive salt laden humidity.

6 Likes

I also have experienced exceptional service from Weber and will only buy their products in future. Weber should be a text book study case in how to treat customers and encourage repeat business.

8 Likes

I love my Weber & service as well but a tip to save a fortune on a Weber Trivet. Don’t buy a genuine Weber Trivet (approx $40 for a Q size). Instead, Ikea has an almost identical stainless steel trivet that is about the same size as a Q for $5.

6 Likes

Just a shout out to Weber for their excellent customer service. I have a Weber Q 300 which i purchased about 4 years ago. It gets used about 4 times a week for all sorts of cooking. Great BBQ, but the best thing is Weber’s customer service. I called them to purchase some spare parts (an ignition switch and components) as mine failed. They refused to accept any payment and immediately shipped all the required parts. Excellent customer service.

Excellent customer service is becoming the exception rather than the norm which is unfortunate. We should not put up with this we need to praise the companies with good customer service and also highlight the companies that need to improve. This will hopefully, slowly, force companies to focus on their customer service as key to their business.

7 Likes

I was instantly sent parts for a small portable Weber I bought in 1989! It is a top company.

3 Likes

My exerience was quite different. I had the same probelm I was treated as a fool and told to read the handbook John

1 Like

My Weber barbecue (gas bottle type) is just over 2 yrs old, the grill plate got very rusty (living in humid Central Qld). Got in touch with Weber and they sent me a brand-new plate! I’m very impressed with their service, and can only recommend them! I believe my model has now been discontinued, but the service is still outstanding - not many firms do this. So, I recommend this firm.

6 Likes

I have a 7 year old Weber Genesis BBQ and the igniter is troublesome. I rang Weber and they said there is a lifetime guarantee on the lighting device and they sent one by courier free of charge and free transport. How good is that?

9 Likes

Great to hear David, thanks for sharing the positive experience.

6 Likes

I emailed Weber on Xmas Eve regarding a faulty temperature probe for the Weber iGrill thermometer I bought in Nambour on 24.12.2018.

They requested a copy of the purchase receipt which we could not find, but I advised that I could provide a copy of the entry on my credit card statement, which they accepted.

The courier just delivered the replacement probe, which was shipped from Adelaide, on the second business day from when I contacted Weber.

How good is that for service?

5 Likes

Always great to hear positive feedback. I would much rather be praising a business than complaining about one, trouble is that we nowadays so often have to complain to get what our rights entitle us to. I must say Weber still support our old kettle when it needs parts, last time it was the ash basket, the time before the coal trays. I think from my experience a Company committed to their products to ensure customer happiness.

6 Likes

Wonderful to hear, now that the number one household manager and number two chief BBQ chef are looking for a replacement. Weber looks like a great supplier.

Our “Quality?” BBQs Galore 4 Burner needed new gas diverter pressed metal plates to promote ignition of adjacent burners. Ten years after purchase a failed exercise, despite the same style and size of top plates for 3,4,6 burners being available, 20 years on. Even replacement CI burners are no problem.

Depending on the direction of the breeze adjacent burners will ignite with a distinct puff or worse a mild hair singing pop. Better to use a long match and light each one separately.

Having a roasting hood, on a few occasions we have done whole large fish or large family roasts. The gas use due to heat leakage makes us wonder at the cost and GHG impact, only because the fish are too large for the oven. Perhaps not such an issue for the future as the fish seem to be getting smaller?

4 Likes

We have a 12 year old Weber Summit. While not getting as much use as we hoped it has been bullet proof. One of the nice features is the design is among very few that are all but impervious to wind affecting the flames. They have a learning curve since all cooking is with lid closed unlike most others.

A single gripe is we bought the ‘super deluxe cover’ that is in near perfect condition excepting the threads are falling apart. We await the repair shops coming back to work in the next few weeks to get it stitched up. Weber no longer offers the super deluxe cover and the current version is much lighter weight at a premium price, albeit still with a 3 year warranty.

5 Likes

You certainly won’t go wrong with a Weber whichever model you may choose.

Our Weber Family Q320 is super economical on LPG, and we would use about 5 x 8.5kg refills a year despite using it for all roasts and grills. We use it almost everyday.

And I cannot speak highly enough regarding Weber’s exemplary after sales service which is the best we have ever experienced from any business.

6 Likes

@PhilT & @Fred123, thanks, your comments are reassuring and informative. Will post an update when the deal, and the first cook are done.

5 Likes

The electronic igniter on our Weber Family Q 3200 failed last week so I rang Weber on Thursday to order a replacement and I had my wallet at hand to pay for it.

The lady at Weber asked me for the serial # of the BBQ and called up our details on their data base.

She asked me about the problem and whether the gas was flowing normally, following which she said she would send me a replacement free of charge as there is a lifetime warranty on the igniter, even though the BBQ was bought in 2013.

The courier delivered the replacement this afternoon.

Try beating that for customer service.

4 Likes