Watch out for cheap & nasty baskets in F&P Freezers

My house is full of Fisher & Paykel appliances. I don’t think I will bother again though. My Pigeon Pair freezer broke down last year - it was 10 years old - all good. The replacement, which looks pretty much the same - the baskets were so lightweight, compared to the older model, I actually switched them over before getting rid of the old one.
Now my 699L H701XR chest freezer which I purchased in July 2011 is having wire basket failures. Yep - same problem - lightweight wire giving under the strain. I should have known better when I saw the plastic handles on the baskets. Replacement costs - $56 each for the baskets, and I noted it was $23 for new plastic handles. Did they see me coming…? I am now scouring tip shops to see if I can locate any old fashioned ones to fit - you know - the type that last longer than the freezer? They must be out there somewhere.

1 Like

Maybe they have followed the printer industry. Sell a freezer cheap and make all the money replacing basket parts…

1 Like

I am not very happy with Fisher & Paykel after sales service either. We have just renovated our kitchen & put in F & P dish drawers & gas cooktop & we have had problems with both & the service from local service people has been very bad. In fact the plumber has never got back to me about the gas cooktop despite leaving messages on mobile, landline & email. I don’t necessarily care if he can’t come until next year, I would just like some acknowledgement that he has received my enquiry & will one day come & look at my problem! With the dishdrawers we had 3 service calls, each about a month apart (it took about 3 weeks to a month for an appointment to our area) but in the end I solved the problem myself by just trial & error.
I have not had any response from F&P about my comments on their website in regard to poor/nil service responses in our area.