Washing machine v dryer kg capacity

I just purchased a 9kg LG front loader thinking it would fit my queen size doona. The doona fits easily in my 6kg front loader dryer but not a 9kg washing machine. How can that be ???

The 9kg is the maximum design weight of the contents of the washing machine/dryer, and not the volume which can fit into the appliance. 9kg is dry contents for washing machines, and damp/wet contents for driers. Therefore 9kg dryer takes less contents than a 9kg washing machine.

The maximum design weight may also only be able to be run using some, not all, washer/dryer functions.

Notwithstanding this, for the same make and model, a 5 kg washer/dryer will usually have less volume capacity than a 9kg one.

A 9 kg in LG will also have different volume capacity than other brands. Each brand will design their washer/dryers to be able to handle 9kg.

For a doona, have you thought about using a laundromat? Their washer/dryers usually are designed to wash larger items such as doonas, blankets, quilts etc. The cost of infrequently using a laundromat for such purpose is generally cheaper than buying a larger washer/dryer than one needs, for the off chance of infrequently washing/drying larger items.

1 Like