Washing machine repairs

I recently had to find a washing machine mechanic. I have a Simpson washing machine that apparently are not owned by Electrolux. I was told by a couple of washing machine mechanics that they don’t repair anything owned by Electrolux because the parts are too hard to access. There was only one Co that repaired Electrolux washing machine in town and that happened to be the most expensive. That has really put me off purchasing anymore Electrolux appliances. I don’t know if this applies only to washing machines or not.

In contrast my appliance repairman was high on Electrolux products made over the past few years - far less enthusiastic about those of years ago. His recommendation and a Choice recommendation sold me on one just last month. Both yours and my repairman could be correct at the end of the day! Well built and reliable, but perhaps difficult parts sourcing when something breaks - if the repairman is not ‘Electrolux’?

As for Simpson, it is an Electrolux brand since 2000. Older Simpson products are thus ‘not Electrolux’.

1 Like

That sounds promising but why are the parts too hard for repair to to access.

1 Like

Since both our repairmen give us what are nothing more than their personal and anecdotal advice,
I do not know first hand if Electrolux parts are difficult for an independent to get in the general case, if it is your locality where parts need to be ordered in at additional effort for the repairer, or if it could be historic problems they had that they hang onto that have since improved or not, or it is specific to older or certain models.

A few others

My LG lasted just over 6 years and was replaced with an Electrolux. Compared to the Asko the cost per year was similar :expressionless:

and an interesting observation from one

and there are parallel topics about Fisher and Paykel and others.

It appears while long term trends for quality, reliability, performance, and service are important, it is an evolving situation as to what company is most reliable, or provides the best support to customers, or supports independent repairmen.

2 Likes

I have an LG washing machine which is 3 years old. It ocassionally leaks (floods) badly from the front. Our serviceman said it needs a new detergent drawer. After 2 weeks LG sent a detergent drawer that does not fit our machine. Our servie man rang LG to get assistance on how to fit the drawer they sent him and after a very long time LG admitted that it won’t fit and that the drawer that does fit our 3 year old machine is no longer available. How can LG be allowed to get away with that? We can still use the machine but on the ocassions it leaks I guess the clothes are not being washed very well. I expect that it won’t take long for the machine to be completely useless.