Warning: Vocus Group who own Dodo & Club Telco attempting to bully ADSL clients to move to Dodo NBN

After the supervisor’s assurance, I have relaxed. BUT, I am going to move to NBN ASAP.

I was going to wait a year from August before looking into moving. That would have given me six months to find a RSP and transfer over. I had hoped that things would settle down a bit more by then, and selecting a good value RSP would be easier. Ahhhhhh. If only!

At the moment, I am looking at WhistleOut via Choice to look at who gives the best deal here for what I think I need. Unfortunately, the cheapest offering (by $300 over 24 months) doesn’t have a link supplied so I have no idea who it is making the offer.

5 Likes

Could be that company does not pay a bounty to Whistleout for signed customers.

3 Likes

Just received a card from the NBN Co. reminding me “the nbn access network will be replacing most exisiting landline phone & internet networks in my area from 9 October 2020”.

That’s 13 months from when nbn was made available (end of August 2019) in this area. So much for having 18 months to switch!

2 Likes

I read somewhere that the 18 months is not on a individual residence basis, but when part of an area is declared nbn ready. It was indicated that this was when 30% of residences were ready for connection. If one is in the 70%, then this time could be less.

4 Likes

Again as @phb indicates it is when an area is declared nbn™ Ready, even if some work still needs to be done of some sections in that area. Still the 13 mths may not even hold true if ClubTelco pull out of supporting ADSL services on the 9th of December for you. NBN Co could have also declared the area Ready sooner than when they first advised you that it was ready. They need to generate all those letters/emails :slightly_smiling_face: . You can check in the following site to see when it declared it Ready (hopefully it has your area in it…it is updated) https://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/nbn/nbn-rollout-schedule.html. You can also hopefully find what they call Cease Sale for your area on the site as well (when no older services contracts can be entered into). Please note all these lists are only “Best Effort” by Telstra, so may not be entirely accurate.

https://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/content/dam/tw/nbn/Documents/rollout-list.xlsx (excel file)

https://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/content/dam/tw/nbn/Documents/rollout-list.pdf (pdf of the file).

The data is based on NBN Co’s Rollout Region Identifiers and I obviously don’t know yours, you could find your area has multiple IDs and so there may be varying dates. If you can identify your ID then the dates should reflect it accurately (unless it is an “expected date”).

From NBN Co re Cease Sale:

Telstra Cease Sale Provision

• Most services over Telstra’s existing copper and HFC networks will cease to be offered once the nbn ™ access network becomes available at a premises in nbn ™ Fixed Line areas.
  • Telstra’s Migration Plan requires Telstra to cease supplying most types of new copper and HFC services to premises that are serviceable by nbn after the Cease Sale Commencement Date for an area. Generally, this date occurs ten business days after the area is classified as ‘ready for service’ by nbn .
  • Premises in nbn ™ Fixed Wireless or Sky Muster™ satellite areas can choose to maintain their existing services over the copper network.
5 Likes

Two cautions on this point.

A very small number of premises, count increasing may not have this option. Principally where the copper to the FW or Satellite customers of NBN share some of their cabling with FTTN customers closer to the exchange.

Second issue may be similar to the situation @meltam relates where their current ADSL provider is ceasing to provide those services.

I’ve approached our ISP (iiNet/Westnet) as previously related.

We are in the situation in the Glass House Mountains of waiting for NBN FW to be turned on while having a usable 12+ Mbps ADSL2 service. Our copper route shares at least one common pillar with FTTN customers. We may not have a connection service for the NBN FW when it is turned on next year.

On escalating my enquiry to iiNet after the first long call we did get a response from our ISP. iiNet are saying they will continue to provide ADSL service after the NBN is available. They did agree we could keep a copper line. It remains unclear though as to whether that service will continue to be available for an indefinite length of time into the future. I have asked for a written response to clarify what they will continue to provide.

It’s unclear, in particular what happens if in 18 months time iiNet drop out of ADSL. The ability to re-contract with someone else is an unknown, if not already blocked by NBN Co agreements? I keep getting a slightly different response to the question re keeping the copper line and to keeping ADSL. Reading between the lines keeping the copper line is all that is assured until 2024. ADSL service comes with no such assurance? It depends…

P.S.
I appreciate that it will be only a fraction of 1% of all premises that may have these concerns. So be it. It is wise to be prepared. Mobile broadband is currently accessible and for a lifetime a cheaper option than an NBN technology upgrade.

2 Likes

There has been no reply to a couple of attempts to contact ClubTelco re: their removal from the Telco business. I would assume the auto-response I get is just that ie an “autoresponse” with no staff to do the real response. With so little feedback my thoughts are that it is very likely the Company is ceasing business. As the 9th has passed and no other message has appeared here that either the ADSL has continued (but for how long) or @meltam has moved to a different provider and/or type of connection.

1 Like

Hi all

A quick update for your information… I have remained on the air with ClubTelco after the cease and desist date of the 9th! They even helped sort out when my internet stopped working suddenly on the 10th.

I have booked the NBN connection for the 13th of January via Aussie Broadband. I confirmed that I can even continue ot use my Netgear Nighthawk modem/router as the router attached to the NBN’s box.

Now all I have to do is get the cabelling from the Krone punch block at the point of entry to the patch panel. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

They may fit cable internally for you to a patch panel if you ask. Think it is 30 metres as long as it doesn’t require OH&S breaches to do so. Worth asking.

4 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion. It is probably only 10 meters. They may be able to use the existing Cat 4 cable to pull the new cable through. We shall see :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

An update on the Vocus class action.

2 Likes

Thank you to everyone that chimed in to provide assistance or comments.

I am now on the HFC NBN with AussieBB. :star_struck:

I booked installation with the 50/20Mbps plan for the second week of January to avoid all the Christmas and post new year issues, and guess what? NBN postponed it by a week and a half.

The tech that came out was brilliant and patient crawling through very narrow spaces to get from the outside wall to where our patch panel, and modem/router was located. He worked here for 3.5hrs to get us up, and tested as successfully connected and running to the new NBN modem.

As has been reported by others, AussieBB sent lots of texts and emails informing where we were up to along the way.

I also managed to convert our Netgear Nighthawk 6300 ADSL modem/router to act as a router to the NBN HFC box. Saved a bit of money there, and kept our good dual band wi-fi router working a bit longer.

This weekend, I had the opportunity to test their support again when we suddenly lost the internet on Saturday afternoon. Again they were very good and their help desk listened to all the checks I had done, and all they asked of me was to reset the modem to factory settings. Something I would have dreaded to do with the ADSL. That didn’t help, so they did some testing and duely reported it to NBN.

It turned out to be an suburb wide fault, and again they kept me appraised. Turned out to be a faulty amplifier in the NBN system.

The speeds are acceptable achieving in the low 40s down and around 15 up. This compares to 8/0.8Mbps on ADSL

If I sound like I am enjoying it so far; you are right.

5 Likes

My experience is that they first seem to consider faults are individual faults, and they do not always first check for area-wide ones, so no matter who one signs up with, Question 1 when service goes out is whether there is a local, regional, or even national fault, and only if not should they be spending time on one’s own rig. You could be the first reporting a fault that affects your local service, but. A few months back I spent a while with a very good ABB support person. After doing all the things that should have gotten me back working they finally put in the NBN fault report and I subsequently learned NBN had a very widespread ‘oops’ that took hours to fix. Was I the first to report in? I’ll never know. It was educational if there is a next time - I know more things to check than I did beforehand…

3 Likes