Volvo To Limit Top Speed Of Vehicles

An article regarding Volvo introducing factory set speed limits to a mere 180 km/h.

When I was a teenager, my best mate’s father gave him an old Ford V8 Customline to drive after he had his mechanics limit it to a maximum speed of 40 m/h.

My mate then had only 2 speeds. Stationary and 40 m/h, corners included.

1 Like

It rules it out of the Cannon Ball Run.

3 Likes

Impeding traffic on the Autobahns? Interesting to see how their market share goes in Germany. A few years ago I was a pax in a VW Golf going 140 kph on an open segment, being regularly passed like we were parked.

I suspect Volvos will be able to get out of the way smartly, so could be OK.

2 Likes

Not all autobahns are unrestricted. Australia does not have autobahns and does have speed limits set at 110km/h, but it does have plenty of accidents due to high speed. Maybe a top speed limit is worthy. (I know NT has unrestricted highways, but it is just a territory.)

Those that live there might disagree.
So is the ACT.

Perhaps it is the absence of Volvo’s on a Territory roads that requires remedy? :wink:

1 Like

Good idea.

That used to be the case but I don’t think that is true now, it looks to me their max speed is the Stuart Highway 130kph.

1 Like

Speed is apparently not the top problem. Drunk drivers can kill themselves and others at any speed.

3 Likes

Indeed they might :slight_smile: Australian territories outnumber states 10 to 6, 3 on the mainland, but if we are talking mainland the ratio is 3 to 5 :wink: Population is a ‘tad lower’ in the territories I guess …

We had a ‘derestricted zone’ for a couple of years recently under the CLP - there were no issues with it. Prior to 2007 much of the territory had no posted limit. It’s been a tit-for-tat thing between the CLP and Labor all along … 130 Km/h is it now and sadly no indication of it changing.

The concept of ‘contributing factor’ is a matter for debate - lies and statistics to push an agenda perhaps a cynic might suggest. If it was about road safety there would be a lot less cars on the road here, not to mention a lot less drivers (licensed or otherwise). Reducing speed limits is pandering to the lowest common denominator to some degree IMO.

3 Likes