Virgin mobile customers - have you received an offer?

With Virgin Mobile shutting down, we’re interested to hear if you have had your plan cancelled, or if you have been given an offer to move over to Optus or another carrier.

Let us know your experience in the comments below.

4 Likes

I am on a Virgin post-paid plan $24/month with no contract, unlimited national calls & text, 2.5GB data

Three times, I have been offered an Optus $25/month plan with 12 month contract, unlimited national calls & text, 10GB data.

I rarely use more than 1GB of data per month and Virgin allows an accumulated data “rollover” of up to 2.5GB, so I effectively have 5GB/month (which I don’t need).

I have ignored the offers.

3 Likes

You might be interested in checking amaysim, also on the Optus Wholesale network as you need to change, but watch that 28 days vs 1 month period.

2 Likes

Thanks @PhilT. I almost used amaysim before selecting Virgin. I was deterred by the amaysim Privacy Policy, in particular:

12… Do we send personal information overseas?
We may disclose some of your personal information to organisations outside Australia,
including but not limited to Canada, China, Germany, India, Ireland, Pakistan,
Philippines, Poland and USA for the purposes described above.

Some of these countries may not have the same or substantially similar privacy laws
as those set out in this Privacy Policy and the Australian Privacy Principles. We may
not require organisations to which we disclose personal information in those countries
to comply with similar privacy laws, and accordingly your personal information may
not receive the same protections that it would in Australia.

By providing your personal information to us, you consent to our disclosure of your
personal information to organisations in those countries even though it may not
receive the same protections that it would in Australia. You may request us not to
transfer your personal information to the countries listed above, but if you do so we
may not be able to provide you with the products, services or benefits you have
requested from us.

To me it reads like amaysim could provide my proof-of-identity information to anyone, with no restrictions of its use. I didn’t want to take the risk.

4 Likes