Video Game Controllers

Two years ago I purchased a refurbished Xbox Elite Series 2 controller from retailer EB Games for $199. This month I picked it up to find the rubber grip wrapping the handles was warped and had become unglued from the chassis. One of the swappable joysticks had also cracked. Over 2 years, I have used this device rather lightly and it has lived on my desk.

No problem, I thought. EB Games has a fantastic Reboot repair program to repair this stuff, since it is obviously out of warranty. Much to my surprise, on presenting the controller I was informed that repairs are not available for it, despite this model continuing to be for sale and repairs being offered for its cheaper cousin.

I totally get that repairs to some devices are more complex than others so, after confirming that there were no other repairers in my nearby shopping centre who would address it, I went to Microsoft. I selected the controller on my Microsoft account screen, and was greeted with this message. (No, that link does not allow you to get parts either).

Ultimately, I think the design of the wrap on this controller is sorely lacking for a device that retails for $250 new. (Other Xbox branded controllers start at around $90). And what is the point of having a device with replaceable parts if you cannot purchase replacements? I would strongly recommend against buying one of these.

So where does that leave me with my poor, warped controller? I have contacted the retailer, EB Games, to outline how I think this device falls short of consumer guarantees and I would like a repair, replacement or refund. I have specifically made reference to the fact that manufacturers must make reasonable effort to offer repairs and spare parts. This is especially true when one considers the price of this device, the fact the parts are replaceable and the readily available repair facilities for similar Xbox controllers. I will report back when I get a reply.

3 Likes

Update: Apparently the reason for the lack of service is that these controllers are no longer being manufactured, even though some remain for sale.

Cosmetic damage on a 2 year old preowned product probably isn’t unreasonable, and one would expect repairs to no longer be available once a product ceases production. So I’m probably out of luck regarding consumer law. It certainly will make me think twice about buying Xbox branded peripherals in future though.

2 Likes

Some products are made to be disposable rather than reparable. This means that spares or repair options aren’t provided. This is particularly the case with many electronic items where the cost to repair far exceed the cost or replacement. Some electronic items are also ‘glued’ in many places rather than ‘screwed’ making them impossible to repair without damaging or destroying the item. If a claim is made during the warranty period (or consumer guarantee period), the item is replaced with a new one.

If it is only the rubber lifting and the handset is still working, have you thought about trying to reglue the rubber back onto the handset. There are contact adhesives which are suitable for plastic and rubber which may be suitable. Make sure that they are suitable for plastics other wise they might not stick or could result in the glue damaging the plastic surface.

You would be. If it was new when you acquired it, you could argue that it should last more than 2 years. Being second hand, it will be (a lot older) than 2 years and would exceed the manufacturer warranty/Australian consumer guarantee. Furthermore, being second hand, you are unlikely to have any recourse with the manufacturer as you won’t be in possession of the proof of purchase of the handset when new. It is one of the risks of buying second hand products - and is a consideration when looking at the cost saving associated with second hand compared to new.

1 Like

It certainly doesn’t stop it being disappointing for a $200 product though!

1 Like

There is no impediment for you to ask for a partial refund based on the relatively short duration before the item had issues. You might need to be a bit more formal in the request, e.g. putting the request in a letter, before they may give some effort into a decision.

I have an XBox series X with a number of official MS controllers (with tactile rubber grips) that have not deteriorated at all in the past two years and more. They are still almost pristine in look and feel. I would be expecting that they should remain fault free for a good number of years based on their retail value. At $200 per unit that you have paid, it would seem for the size of the units this is a premium priced product and therefore should have a commensurate lifespan. As there are no spares a refund or partial refund or even possibly replacement would be my starting options if I were making a request of the retailer. As that saying goes if nothing is ventured then nothing is gained.

3 Likes

I think instead what I will do is do some work on it myself. I suspect if I apply some heat to the rubber gripping it may shrink back in to place. As for the stick, Temu seems to have some replacements available, with reviewers saying they match or even beat the quality of the original parts.

1 Like

Rubber after a few years usually becomes harder and can change shape. It is likely it would have shrunk slightly rather than expanded.

Rubber when it ages hardens and can get brittle and crack.

Not using the handset regularly could also accelerate its degradation. The oil in one’s hand, hody heat and potential manipulation of the rubber may keep it more supple.

Not knowing its history before you bought it second hand doesn’t help. If the previous owners kept it in sunlight, such as in sunlight from a window, this would greatly accelerate its degradation as well.

If you buy a replacement handset, you are more than welcome to post your own review.

2 Likes

I use an Xbox 360 controller for games off Steam that are controller compatible . 10 years old and still going strong . It has a USB cable fitted . I don’t have an Xbox . Use it in my Acer Predator Laptop .

4 Likes

The 360 controllers should be what every manufacturer aims for with durability. I only had to get rid of mine when the USB adapter for it died. The controller was fine but unfortunately they use proprietary wireless and not bluetooth.

1 Like

Every good story has a happy ending. With $80 of parts from Amazon (joystick rings still pending delivery) and my ifixit toolkit, my controller looks good as a $250 new one.

My advice to anyone doing this repair is be very careful to insert the trigger limiter screws straight. Unfortunately mine aren’t quite sitting right and are a bit hard to move.

3 Likes