Vibration platform

Has anyone used one of these? I have read they may improve balance in the elderly. Are there any benefits in using these machines?

• List item

One of these?

Nothing about improving the balance if elderly in this promo.

Both our mum and previously my dad had professional (physio) support in their 80’s/90’s. Not one of the aids used or recommended. For improving your balance it would seem a poor option unless you had something to hold onto with both hands. How frail the elderly person is may be a limiting condition.

Balance seemed to be about building strength and coordination through weight changing (stepping) and sit/stand type activities.

If you have examples of promotional material that support improved balance outcomes curiosity awaits.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s the sort of thing I am wondering about.

1 Like

I am interested if anyone has actually used this platform and gotten any benefits.

1 Like

The NCBI is a library of academic papers. The inclusion of any paper does not alone suggest it has merit. Peer reviews and collateral studies are important.

Responders from the Mayo Clinic are an easier read.

Although this is a sample of 73 and whole body vibration (as w/prior links) was included, the final sentence may be instructive

Whole-body vibration may improve balance confidence without enhancing actual balance performance.

If you google you may notice the preponderance of hits are media republishing the same or similar articles and businesses selling products and anecdotal not authoritative sources.

4 Likes

I have found one meta-analysis which shows that it can be beneficial for already active independent elderly, though the improvement appears small. If I read the stats correctly, for the mobility impaired or in need of care elderly, it seems to very slightly dimish their results, though the article concludes it has the potential to positively influence dynamic balance. To me, having the potential to do something and actually achieving positive results are two quite different things.

As discussed on this forum in relation to massage chairs, perhaps the best bet is to consult a physiotherapist who can work out an excercise regime specifially tailored to what is needed.

5 Likes

NeuRA, (an independent, not-for-profit research institute based in Sydney, Australia. As a leader in brain and nervous system research, our goal is to prevent, treat and cure brain and nervous system diseases, disorders and injuries through medical research.) has some information on its website about falls and balance, and the research it is currently undertaking.

https://www.neura.edu.au/health/falls-balance/extra-information/

There is also some other research about balance training for older adults, but this doesn’t seem to indicate vibration platforms as a method to improve balance.

There are also some popular medical websites like that posted by @PhilT which indicate that the jury is out for domestic vibration platforms…but there may be some merit as ‘Some research shows that whole-body vibration, when performed correctly and under medical supervision when needed’ may have some benefit. The key wording is performed correctly and under medical supervision. Possibly buying a vibration platform off the shelf hoping it works isn’t advised, unless it is recommended and done under medical supervision.

When caring for a elderly lady, her balance was worse immediately after standing…her doctor at the time indicated that to reduce potentially falling after standing, to count to 10 and take deep breaths before moving. The doctor seemed to indicate that such prepares the body for movement and also settles balance after standing. It seemed to work for the particular lady.

It might be worth using techniques which are known to be effective rather than relying on something which is yet to be fully proven. It would also be worth speaking to your doctor (GP) about any problems which may exist so that any treatment is targeted and most effective for the individual(s) involved. Not consulting with a doctor may mean that a product is bought based on marketing hype rather than scientific evidence of its efficacy.

5 Likes

Or worse, having a treatable medical condition that is not properly diagnosed.

Medical care as we age is typically about more than just a single curable condition. It’s about managing a number of concurrent or recurring conditions in the most effective (and affordable) way.

A good starting point is the local GP or clinic (bulk billed hopefully for most older Aussies). From that starting point for more complex needs there are trained Geriaticians. Most of us not so young ones, may not have seen one unless we’ve been in hospital and rehabilitation, or suffering from more severe conditions common with aging.

https://anzsgm.org/older-people-and-carers/about-geriatric-medicine/

4 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

2 Likes