Use of electronic shelf labels in Australian supermarkets

Has anyone seen electronic shelf labels in use in Australian supermarkets?

I have only seen them in supermarkets overseas and on most the unit price (price per unit of measure),was not well displayed, particularly if the label was on the upper and lower shelves and was not angled to make reading easier. The main problems, apart from lack of appropriate angling out or in, were: very small print and very poor contrast between the print and the background… However, I understand that the latest technology may be able to reduce or eliminate the contrast and print size problems.

If you have seen these types of shelf labels in use in Australian supermarkets, I’d be interested in photos of the labels and/or comments on how effectively they are displaying information for consumers, especially the unit price, on shelves at various levels.

3 Likes

Miniso Australia stores have electronic shelf labels. While not a supermarket, it is the only place in Australia I have ever seen them.

The size of screen on their labels is about the size of a match box. Not all that easy to read as they were LED screens where the LEDs were a medium grey colour rather than dark grey/black. Reading such was difficult in high light conditions.I imagine that if one was wearing polarising glass lenses, they might be even more difficult to read.

5 Likes

Many thanks for the info. Was not aware of this business. Will go to one to look when I am next in an area where there is one. I agree re problems caused by high light conditions. I think this is less of a problem with the new e-paper types of e-shelf labels. Will take polarising lens with me when i investigate.

E-labels come in various sizes so that can also influence how well the info is displayed. I think the large modern e-paper ones are expensive but they last longer and have other advantages over LEDs.

For anyone who wants to see what an LED e-shelf label looks like here is a pic of one I saw in France.

3 Likes

I was looking for some info on ESLs and I came across this.
I see your analysis on this topic is from last year… Is there any progress in this field?.. I see a few stores using ESLs on this providers website.

Whats your stand on this? Is this still a good market here in Australia?
Thanks in advance

1 Like