Unit pricing: CHOICE survey

I agree. None or very substandard, non-compliant provision is a major problem in smaller supermarkets in rural areas, and also in urban areas. Furthermore, the negative effects of this on rural consumers are much greater because, as you rightly note, it is often very difficult for rural consumers to get to a supermarket that does provide UP or where it is easier to use.

The Consumers Federation of Australia (CFA) made a complaint to the ACCC a few weeks ago about non-compliant UP provided in several independent smaller supermarkets in a few rural towns
 CFA has not yet had a response from the ACCC.

The Code requires grocery retailers that voluntarily provide unit pricing (e.g. if they have a floor area of less than 1000sq m) to comply with the UP Code. However, there is nothing to stop them deciding to not comply and just stop providing any UP covered by the Code (i.e.for products in constant measure packages). This is one reason why I think the threshold minimum floor area should be substantially reduced.

5 Likes

Recently used it for a buy on Paper Towels. Per sheet 
 hmm good deal. Get home to find the “sheet” is about half the standard size. Doh!

3 Likes

Also happens with number of plies or weight of paper or even the type of fibres used (fitness for purpose eg strength, softness etc, vs raw material cost). Something the Choice product reviews of paper based products such as tissues, paper towel and toilet paper try to objectively compare. No need to rely on unit cost alone, although for two products one finds work the same or are equal, best to have a UP than none.

3 Likes

Yes, I have notice one or two manufacturers now having half sized sheets (ICare Wipex ‘Pick a Size’ is an example).

It is something to watch for when using unit pricing. The same can apply to tissues and toilet paper (which can be of different sizes).

In relation to the ICare product with smaller paper towel sheets. We now prefer this size as it reduces the amount used. For smaller spills, one smaller sheet is sufficient. For larger spills, one has a greater choice of the amount to use,

3 Likes

I find unit pricing unreliable, especially with loose fruit and veg, and do my own calculation. Oddly, the discrepancies that I see are usually in the direction of indicating that the product is cheaper than it actually is. On the other hand, sometimes unit pricing is just plain weird. Our local IGA recently had Dentastix dog chews with the following prices:
1.44 kg packet for $31, unit price “$17.22/100 gm”.
720 gm for $22.50, unit price “$2.93/100 gm.”
180 gm on special for $4.80, unit price “$2.67/100 gm”. Bingo! they got one right! But I bought the big packet and paid $2.15/100 gm.

1 Like

Perhaps the staff that work there are (wrongly) calculating the prices manually rather than through an automated process?

2 Likes

Well spotted. Depending on how you look at it it’s an example of “shrinkflation” (downsizing not picked up by the unit price being expressed in terms of per sheet irrespective of its size), OR “skimpflation” (a reduction in the product’s composition or quality).
It’s difficult for unit pricing to take account of such a change unless the unit of measure is per sq metre which most people would not find useful. However, for products like laundry detergents it can be taken into account by providing the unit per standardised wash load. This is done in some european countries

2 Likes

The Qld Consumers Association has made very good use of data from the survey in a 6 page submission to the Senate inquiry into the cost of living.
The submission recommends that in its final report the Senate Committee recommend that:

1. The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) adopt a more proactive approach to monitoring and enforcing retailer compliance with the Retail Grocery Industry (Unit Pricing) Code of Conduct.

2. The Commonwealth government commission an independent, national review of the unit pricing (pricing of products per standardised unit of measure) system in order to:

• Assess the effectiveness of the current unit pricing and other relevant legislation (including measurement legislation) and its administration,
  • Identify opportunities to increase the effectiveness and the scope of the current legislation and its administration.

3. More resources be provided to inform consumers about unit pricing and its uses.

IF YOU SUPPORT THESE RECOMMENDATIONS CONSIDER SENDING A SUPPORTIVE SUBMISSION OR LETTER TO THE INQUIRY BEFORE 10 MARCH.

THIS IS THE LINK TO USE

5 Likes

Obviously it varies. I have definitely seen Coles or Woolies items that do not have unit pricing for whatever reason.

There’s a variation that I came across with AA batteries - a blister pack of 14 batteries at $9.95 was marked “$9.95/each” as the unit price.

Probably just a ticketing error. The unit price is obviously $0.71 rounded.
Looking at Woolies batteries online all but one have the unit price correctly displayed.

I’ve a similar observation for the battery blister packs from last time purchased (approx 4 weeks) in the local Woolies. The unit pricing per battery is not always on the price tags. With a few exceptions they are most often sold in pairs or 3’s, or some other odd number. Mostly I need 2 or 4, so the marketing genius is not to sell a 4 pack, and to ensure the 2 packs are over priced. Where ever I can I use rechargeable batteries.

1 Like

Of course, but there are a lot of ‘ticketing errors’.

Me too, however as you probably know there are a good number of uses that don’t work well with rechargeables - mostly devices that don’t have controlled low voltage cutout. Unless you change your batteries exactly when they are exhausted these devices can over-discharge your expensive rechargeables and ruin them or greatly reduce their life. Examples are clocks and some remotes, many torches, toys

1 Like

Here’s an example of lazy or deliberate failure to enable unit price comparisons, this time by Coles Online. Check out the different ‘units’ in the first three items, and then try to compare value of these with the 5th item

2 Likes

Thanks for this tip. I was not aware of the problem. It might be why some of my rechargeable batteries will no longer recharge.

4 Likes

Inconsistency in the units of measure used to show the unit price of different items of the same product type is far too common, especially on websites, and is contrary to the requirements of the mandatory Grocery Unit Pricing Code administered by the ACCC. I encourage you to send your photo to the ACCC.

2 Likes

I did forward to the ACCC.

2 Likes

Well done! We’ll only get improvements if consumers show that they care about this. I don’t expect the ACCC will reply, but if they do please share it.

2 Likes

Yes unfortunately, that will be the reason
 little known or appreciated fact by many, including IKEA who have stopped selling any AA and AAA single-use alkaline batteries and now only sell NIMH rechargeables. This is ultimately worse for the environment and pockets than alkalines in many cases. The world must be awash with rechargeable batteries that are discarded because they don’t hold a charge, like yours (and mine).

1 Like

I submitted about three weeks ago, and yes, no response from ACCC.

1 Like