Uninformative food contents listing

For all those who get confused between coconuts and mammaries. There are any number of products that are or include coconut milk where it is named as such. How odd.

4 Likes

Thank you @meltam for following this up.:grinning:

All of Danone’s products are said to be made from coconut milk/cream as an alternative to dairy milk/cream.
Where does the ‘substitute’ to coconut milk/cream come in? :laughing:

Sack the slogan writer for muddling things up!:laughing::rofl:

3 Likes

Very interesting… BUT (the BS meter is agitating on the left side of the dial)…

Their other dairy free yoghurt products on the website use the term milk. The term coconutmilk is a ingredient on the labels and also clearly presented on their website.

They do, and their response has caused the BS meter to flick to the hard right, bouncing on the stop pin.

6 Likes

Well, where are we?

We have:
Almond milk, which is not milk.
Coconut milk, which is not milk.
Peanut butter, which is not butter.
Lemon butter, which … oh well, it does have some lemon juice and dairy butter, or margarine when made in our house.

There is also plant based steak, which is not beef!

What’s in a name?
“That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet”
Me thinks, Shakespeare was ahead of his time?

But it won’t save Danone. They’ve been caught out.
All due respect to @meltam for persisting.

4 Likes

Answer to your question is …Coconut Cream 24% ; Coconut Milk 17% Whipping Cream; Nut Butter; Tahini or Greek Yogurt. Hope this helps. Have a great day :heart_eyes:

Welcome to the forum.

Where and how did you get that information?

I can see two things which don’t gel with the dairy free claim, namely whipping cream and yoghurt both of which are prima facie dairy products.

Great that you followed this up. I have started some research on what a food product can/can not and should/should not be called on labels. I hope to complete it early in 2022.

BTW a senate committee is looking into the issue of whether plant products can be called meat and is due to report by 22 Feb 2022. The dairy industry is following it closely and made a submission because of the relevance to what can be called a dairy product.

On a related but not exactly the same issue, I wonder if you and others have any views about whether retailers should provide consumers with the name of the variety of some fruits and vegetables?

I ask because I have lodged a query with a retailer about the recent non provision of variety info on the pack or the shelf label for a 1 kg pack of mandarins. Previously the variety (Alfourer) was shown (but only in small print) on a label stuck on the generic Mandarins pack.

I think that for products like mandarins where there are significant differences in characteristics (and maybe also price) between varieties, the variety name should be shown prominently and legibly so that a consumer can make an informed choice/decision. Any views, and examples of other relevant products?

At this stage I am not looking at the names used to describe seafood, especially fish!!! That’s a huge and complex area.

4 Likes

My pet peeve are potatoes that are glibly called white potatoes, red potatoes, blue potatoes, and so on rather than sebago, dutch creme, snowdon, etc. all while certain varieties always seem to be labelled (esp kipflers and mayan golds).

3 Likes

I’ll second the Potato call - my supermarket only has “washed” or “brushed” potatoes with no indication of their suitability for mashing, roasting, frying etc. Some of that is due to the lack of info on the packaging.

Mangos - often only listed as “Mango” there is a wide variety of types and tastes. I prefer Bowen / Kensington Pride as best all-rounder, however, unless you know the subtleties you can end up with a Calypso, R2E2, Honey Gold, Keitt, or a stringy turpentine. They may have a label (many I looked at didn’t) but the writing is very small.

I grow several varieties, Bowen / Kensington Pride is the one most requested. It is described as heavenly, R2E2 as lots of flesh, but insipid, Calypso Ok, but not as tasty as a Bowen. I have an article by a local grower who has 27 varieties and his ranking of taste - Bowen tops the list.

4 Likes

Today at WW, in the ‘odd bunch’ section they had apples prepacked in cellophane. Going on looks there were two different types of apples, but there was no indication on the packaging of what they were. One type looked like Red Delicious, but the other could have been Royal Gala, Fuji, Jazz, Pink Lady, or possibly Sundowner, all of which can look quite similar.

As we all well know all these apples have quite different taste and texture characteristics. So buying un-named apples like this is a bit of a lottery, as one might love or hate the taste of what has been bought.!

Edit- added picture taken the following day:

5 Likes

I have noticed the same and suspect that since these are contract packed, usually by wholesalers, they will use the fruit which price is lowest on the day of packing. This can change quickly depending on availability of different varieties and demand. I have noticed that prepacked mandarins are smaller than the loose ones, as smaller often command a lower farm gate price.

The contract packers would also generate labels in bulk, rather than getting specific labels printed out as varietal changes. Doing bulk labelling for all varieties will cause significant waste and push up prices of the prepacked.

With pressure to push prices down to meet consumer expectations for for cheap products, something has to give to try and maintain margins.

2 Likes

I agree. With some products there are great differences between varieties in characteristics that are important to consumers. Plus the price of difernt varieties can differ greatly.

2 Likes

I think you are right. But it will be interesting to see what the retailer says in response to my query. And I have also noticed that the prepacked mandarins can be smaller than those sold loose but at least you can easily see this and choose whether or not to buy. It is not so easy to know the variety if that info is not provided in writing somewhere. And if a label showing the use and best by dates has to be added to the generic pack it should be easy and cheap to show the variety there too, which is what has been happening until recently. However, I’d still like to see the variety info on the shelf label where it can be in provided much prominently and legibly. And that should also be easy and low cost to do.

3 Likes

Totally off original topic, but I have to agree with you. Bowens/KP are still the best, but you can see the problem - they just look like ordinary mangoes. R2E2 and Calypsos that now dominate in Coles are no match for taste, but they look sensational. So in the new world order where superficiality is king, people buy the good-looking ones. (And then say “I don’t like mangoes much”, without ever knowing what they are missing out on). I grew up in a mango tree, and they had no brand, looked pretty ordinary, were stringy, small and mostly seed, and lasted only a couple of days … but tasted fantastic. R2E2s and Calypsos are the devil’s work.

1 Like