Unable to withdraw funds from at call bank account

Not having ability to download a bank’s 2FA app because one’s phone isn’t supported isn’t the bank’s fault. If one wishes to have the convenience of online banking to do transfers, then maybe one should consider upgrading the phone to one that is supported. It isn’t the bank’s fault that a phone was purchased that didn’t support the 2FA app. Most banks provide information on phone operating systems their 2FA work on.

Does your Nokia phone have KaiOS as its operating system rather than Android? KaiOS is known to be widely unsupported by many app developers and won’t run Android apps (even though visually Android and KaiOS look similar).

Most banks provide options when one does not have the ability to use a 2FA app, such as doing banking in person in branches, receiving 2FA by text message or by phone banking with additional security measures adopted (such as a pin or special code). If the bank didn’t provide alternatives to those customers who can’t use their 2FA app, then there would be reason to complain. Because other options aren’t as convenient isn’t a reasonable grounds to complain…as it could be argued it is the customer’s choice not to have facilities to use their more convenient 2FA app system.

In relation to the term deposit, generally a clear instruction not to roll over into a term deposit needs to be given to the bank. It shouldn’t be assumed that since it automatically rolled over it was the bank’s fault. Some banks automatically rollover within a period after a term deposit reaches maturity if no instruction is received. Information about rollovers are usually presented in the PDS or T&Cs associated with the term deposit. Term deposits can usually be broken, but with penalty such as forfeiting some or all of the interest.

Banking in person, especially if not your usual branch where they may know you, additional ID may be required to verify who you are. Especially if the amount being withdrawn or transferred are significant or potentially unusual. I have had to do this for my own bank from time to time, so such a request isn’t unusual. They will take records/copies as evidence of the verification process. I would rather additional verification in such cases rather than allowing a transaction to anyone who has my cards.

2 Likes

Banks and other organizations have been heavily fined in recent years over breaches in Austrac reporting. Anything over $10k as a transaction has to be reported. No ifs, no buts.

A bank will certainly want evidence that someone having a banking card (no photo, just a signatature), is backed up with a photo card with signature like a drivers licence.

Before a large transfer of money takes place. Or a purchase of a bank cheque.

As for 2FA, it sounds like the bank jon01 uses has a smart phone version of rolling code pins, like the good old RSA tokens. I would be astounded if that bank didn’t have an option to use a pin delivered by SMS that required no app.

1 Like

@Jon01 has not named the bank. He should. It would be helpful.

3 Likes

You wrote

Hold your horses.

1. Isn’t the ability to download an app independent of whether it works on my phone?
    I have not gone down the 2FA road yet as I can’t even load the app.
  2. The Nokia uses Android Go
  3. As to instructions on the TD, I found the following amongst my paperwork: when opened I was not asked what to do with it on maturity. I was told, verbally I would be contacted before maturity with interest rates to roll over etc. On 04JAN23 the person who opened the a/c was not in the branch when I visited and so I spoke to another person who said he would contact me a few days before maturity. I asked him to put this in writing as I was in a rush and did not have pen and paper with me. The same day 04JAN23 he emailed me that he shall contact me a few days before maturity. He and nobody else from the bank contacted me.
  4. I haer you about breaking TDs. My point is that days after maturity I was offered to break it and be pensalised because the bank was sure it was rolled over. I deny it was rolled over and to date the bank cannot prove who rolled it over, at what rate and for what term. Odd? Surely.
1 Like

At this time I don’t want to reveal the name, but I will share whatever AFCA decided with this forum. Unless I am prohibited in some way.

1 Like

Apologies, above you suggested that:

Separately I could not download their app, which I was told to do to “be able to transfer to another bank”. It seems the app is not compatible with NOKIA.

which seems to indicate that you have tried to download the app (entertained the use of your banks 2FA) but were unable to as the app isn’t supported on your Nokia phone operating system. It isn’t the bank’s fault your Nokia has an unsupported operating system.

There is usually an automated email advising that the term deposit is about to mature. Have you checked your junk/spam email as it is possible it is there (if it hasn’t been deleted since it was about 3 weeks ago maturity occurred) advising what to do on maturity?

Every bank we deal with (three) has the same email notification process.

Also check the email address you attached to the term deposit account is correct. If it isn’t, you won’t have received the email.

1 Like

There was no email. In fact online in my profile I found the paperwork arranged by the bank clerk showing the term and interest rate and the section on what to do on maturity was blank. There were several options for the staff member to choose from and he chose none and did not ask me, on the day the TD was organised what I want done on maturity.
As statd earlier, it was I who on o4JAN23 visited a branch and asked to be advised of roll over rates before maturity, granted they would be indicative only rates.
The bank does not dispute any of my claims.

@phb As to my phone’s inability to download the app, which you write is no doubt part of 2FA, I found the following crucial information:

1. The bank’s website mentions the app works with Android 7 and later
  2. My phone’s key attribute other than its price is that it is mobile app compatible. It runs the Android-go equivalent of Android 11. It is a slimmed down version of Android 11 inasmuch as it can host fewer apps.

So prima facie - at least to me - it seems this app has more bugs in it than a proverbial swarm

Android Go isn’t Android 7 or later.

Android Go is a ‘lite’ version of Android and many apps aren’t supported on Android Go, whilst are supported on full Android versions.

Is is worth reading this website about Android Go…

Android Go is installed on cheap phones (usually the very basic entry level phones) to give some of the functionalities of more expensive phones loaded with the full version.

2 Likes

Thank for the link.
I saw it earlier…interesting.
While your point on it being used by cheap phones, according to android app developers, android-go is built for apps, so long as the version on the phone is at least as recent as the android version the app was built for. In my case it is.
The other requirement is that the phone has at least 1GB of memory. My phone has 2 GB.
Also it is noteworthy that when I mentioned the app not downloading on my phone to the branch mgr, before even mentioning the word “Nokia”, he replied by saying I need to go to a branch. His demenour was such that it seemed that I was not the first to complain about the app not downloading. An online search reveals many have had various issues with the app.

1 Like

I share your view about Android. It is not necessarily the version that is the problem ( unless really old), it is application developers that restrict their list of supported environments to what these lazy poor excuse for IT people consider worth testing on.

The application could well work fine, but you can’t download it due to environment checking.

During the pandemic, not one of the checkin apps that various Governments cooked up would download on any of my smart devices.

You need to see if your browser based Internet Banking can use another form of multifactor authentication, like Text message to phone. That is what all of my banking uses.

2 Likes

Yes, but only apps which are specifically designed for and/or will run on the Android Go operating system. Many of these apps are ‘lite’ versions of the full Android apps so they run faster on lower spec smart phones. ‘Lite’ being that being the app size is small (<10MB) and has reduced features to improve the apps operation on low specification (cheap) phones.

The number of apps which will run on Android Go are limited to those app where the developers choose to also support their apps running on Android Go.

Google Play also determines what standard apps may also run on Android Go based on the operating system version and the capability/specifications of the device used.

It is highly likely that since your bank’s apps aren’t available through Android Go Play Store (‘Play Store Lite/Go’), it means that the bank apps aren’t supported on the Android Go operating system. Alternatively Google Play has determined that the specifications of your device does not meet the minimum to successfully run the app and why it isn’t available.

This website explains this well (see But can I install other apps on Android Go?)

This isn’t the bank’s issue, but the type of phone which you have. If you wish to run the bank’s apps, you will need to check what the minimum phone specifications and operating systems required to install and use the app…and buy a smart phone which meet these minimum requirements.

From what I understand is other challenges with Android Go is while it is made my Google, it is passed onto phone manufacturers which can ‘modify’ Android Go to better suit their phone’s specifications. Phone manufacturers are also responsible for support for Android Go which are on their devices…which means that one has to reply on the phone manufacturer providing updates and patches.

You may be able to install the bank’s apps outside of Google Play Go, but this isn’t usually recommended. At worst doing such may cause security issues, conflicts with the operating system or not be functional (such as crash the phone when used).

1 Like

I couldn’t disagree more.

If the bank wants customers to use Internet banking, and they all do, then they can provide security methods that fit in with what customers have.

Not force customers to buy hardware to accomodate the bank’s lousy application.

So a bank is supposed to provide support for every operating system on every device on the off chance that they have a customer which may be trying to use such to access their online banking. This will never happen and is an unreasonable expectation.

As an example, I have friends that use Chinese ‘Android’ (COS) on their devices (as they are Chinese and want access to apps on the Chinese platforms). An Australian bank is unlikely to support their Apps working on a Chinese ‘Android’ smart device for a number of obvious reasons (security being a major one).

Any business will choose what services they provide and what products they will test based on the needs of most of their customers. Even Choice does this with testing - it tests those consumer products readily available/commonly used.

With smart devices, there are a number of operating systems, many which aren’t support by app developers. If one has a specific requirement to use a particular app, then they should check what are the minimum specifications which are needed to operate the app.

Should one not choose to have a suitable smart device, the banks provide alternative means to achieve the same banking outcomes.

1 Like

Not at all. The bank should provide methods of multi-factor authentication that do not have to use a application that is device dependent.

RSA token, SMS text, Office 365, are some my bank offers.

As we don’t know that bank, we don’t know that this is the case. The banks we deal with provide alternatives (until recently we didn’t have a personal mobile and had to explore other ways of banking without a mobile). I would be very (extremely) surprised that the bank does not provide alternatives for those who don’t have smart devices or mobiles, as this is likely to be a considerable proportion of their customers.

Earlier it was indicated that the bank provides alternatives banking solutions to its customers…just they were found to be less convenient. If they are inconvenient, and one wants to change this, on needs to look to see how this can be practicably done.

1 Like

@Gregr
You mention “browser”.
On the banks’s website relating to the app it mentions that if one can’t use the app (it does not elaborate on the reasons) one should use online banking.
But here’s the rub: transfers outside the bank cannot be performed online without the app.
Seems like the bank’s website, app staff, customer service folk are all reading from very different scripts.

@phb
Thank you for your comments.
I keyed in as you suggested, the play store for Go and found the relevant app there.
When I clicked on the comments relating to the app, over 80% of folk give the app 1 star from 5.
Looks like I am not alone in querying the utility of the app.

1 Like

Yes browser. Web applications like Internet Banking that run on browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari.

Wherever. Windows, Unix, Linux, any mobile device that connects to a data network in some way.

The question remains as to why your bank ( and you won’t say what it is) seemingly does not offer any multifactor authentication for interbank money transfer beyond their phone app. There are many on this site who could advise, but can’t because you won’t tell us the bank.

1 Like

Ok you got me. I wanted to hold off naming the bank until AFCA looked into it, but have come to the conclusion that I should pony up the name, given the help I am receiving in here. It’s HSBC.

And as for web browsers, I use both Firefox on one device and Safari on another.

1 Like

As indicated above, most bank including HSBC have alternatives to the 2FA app. See…

For its customers which don’t have a ‘physical security device (viz. smart phone to install their 2FA app)’, you can get a validation code by SMS, email or in a browser.

A complaint to AFCA is unlikely to go anywhere when HSBC has readily available alternatives to assist customers in carrying out online banking when they chose not to install the 2FA app or don’t have a smart phone. HSBC will point to this and any complaint on this point will be dismissed.

In relation to the bank cheque, information about why where isn’t any issues has been addressed in this thread. Again, HSBC will state mistakes can happen, which can be reasonable expected, and they undertook due diligence to ensure the mistake was corrected and the customer wasn’t impacted, other than a short time and requiring to complete another withdrawal/bank cheque form. Any complaint about inconvenience to redo a withdrawal form will be dismissed.

In relation to the term deposit, HSBC will point to the Transaction and Saving Account terms and conditions where it covers instructions associated with a term maturity…and covers automatic rollover when a customer does not provide instructions in timeframes nominated under these terms. Any complaint that HSBC automatically renewed the term deposit at maturity without authority will also be dismissed as a specific instruction not to rollover the term deposit was not given.

2 Likes