Transdirect Courier Service Experience today-not happy :(

Hi,
Bit of a vent.
I bought 2 items via Gumtree and FB, one in Victoria and one in Newcastle.
I needed them shipped as they were musical instruments.
I used a service called Transdirect and sought separate quotes-all good and then booked one yesterday and another today. Both to be picked up from the sellers, today, one between 9-5 the other between 12-5.
Anyway, I contacted the sellers and they were waiting for the couriers. Both sellers, who have done this before, did not receive via email the packaging labels that are normally sent. I rang Transdirect customer support-the lady there said she will email both senders the packaging labels-said something about their systems playing up. Sadly one of the sellers are elderly and they had to go to Office Works to print it.
The I get a message from the elderly gentleman that the courier service rang him and said, as they havenā€™t any drivers, they will pick up the item on Wednesday and they refused to contact me, the original booker. I rang Transdirect again, asking why is thgis at the last minute,I had paid $100 for it to be picked up, and why not let me know as I booked and paid for this - reply-ā€œvery sorryā€ etc.
Then at 530 pm, the other seller texted me to say that his package had not been picked up today. I did an online contact inquiry to Transdirect, where a system generated reply was sent to my email-bland and no help.
Earlier, I received an email from Transdirect my package HAS been picked up, then on the website there is no tracking or notification of pickup.
At no time did Transdirect or the couriers contacted me about these issues etc. I feel for both sellers-one an elderly man, who is unwell and another who waited all day for nothing.
I want to be reasonable, but I am very annoyed, verging on anger.
What would you do?
BTW I want to take this further-this is disgusting service.

2 Likes

Having looked at Transdirectā€™s website it seems like they act as an agent and organise couriers from ten different, including major, companies. I would guess that they rely on those couriers companies to schedule the collection and the delivery, with the logistical information being fed back to Transdirect for the paperwork. If the courier firm does not do their bit, Transdirect may not be aware unless the customer (you) tells them.

From the Transdirect web site FAQs:

"What if my shipment does not get collected?

If your Delivery has not been collected by 5pm for Metro pickups, or 3pm for regional pickup, please contact us as soon as possible.

Unfortunately we are not able to track missed collections and rely upon the sender to notify us if there is any problem with your collection."

So they make it clear that it is the customerā€™s (your) responsibility to inform them if the goods are not picked up by 5pm.

I feel for the sellers waiting and not having the courier arriving, but the couriers may have had issues with computers or communications, staffing shortages, vehicles broken down or out of commission, traffic, delays with other deliveries, etc.

If it were me, I would be emailing them on Tuesday to get confirmation the goods will definitely be picked up Wednesday, and at what time.

If they confirm Wednesday pickup and they donā€™t do it, ask for your money back and go direct to one of the major courier firms yourself and get them to do the pickups.

2 Likes

Transdirect or the individual couriers?

If looking to an individual courier, establish with them where the nearest depot servicing the pick up is located. Weā€™ve found many do not service general urban or regional locations routinely every day. The local or city wide depot will have a contact number, although it may take some extra effort to obtain it. Unless itā€™s a priority service the pickup and delivery could be put off until it is efficient for the local truck to make the pickup.

Iā€™d wonder how Transdirect who are using other carriers can be the lower cost option?

2 Likes

On Tuesday I would be still dealing with Transdirect for the promised Wednesday delivery.

If they donā€™t deliver Wednesday, ask for a refund and seek out an individual courier to arrange for your goods to be delivered to you.

3 Likes

Well, nothing delivered as yet.
The website did not update over the weekend.
I rang Trans-direct last Thursday as I didnā€™t received the shipment. Basically, ā€˜so whatā€™ from the contacts via phone.
I went the individual courier sites and used their tracking-minimal info.
I had to do a web search for one of the couriers contact details (phone) as not listed on their site.
At all times, I lodged an email inquiry and no reply from any of them.
Eventually, via Trans-direct again, it will be Tuesday 24th that the delivery will be made.
One thing I learnt was the original courier, booked via Trans-direct, out sourced the delivery to another company (no details).
Sensationally stressful experience this is, as for some reason, paying a lot of money, assured of 2-3 days delivery, then no delivery, no contact to me via any means is acceptable. Call me a boomer, but this is not ā€˜serviceā€™.
This lack of ā€˜careā€™ concerns me, as the items that are being transported are quite valuable, and fragile to an extent. No confidence at all in these companies.
I will update if there is any contact or when delivered.

3 Likes

Unfortunately this can potentially happen with any courier business, depending on the location of the pickups and deliveries.

I completely understand, and feel for you and the sellers.

Lesson learnt? Donā€™t use Trans-direct again. Use a larger courier firm that has the ability to do what you want. It may cost more but you wonā€™t have to worry about:

2 Likes

That is easier said than done :wink:

ā€˜Largerā€™ does not necessarily mean more capable, location dependent. As dodgy as Auspost can be I have found them to be more dependable even if a few days slower than most alternatives (delivering to Eltham Vic).

From 2016-2021 posts and from my own recent experience not much has changed, so one to think hard about if tempted.

3 Likes

You know, I understand how business is undergoing their own issues etc, but want bugs me is the devil-may-care attitude of customer support and these businesses in general. In other words, once you have booked in then you are at their mercy. I am praying, because of these attitudes, that the shipments are not damaged on arrival. Does not inspire any confidence at all.

2 Likes

Here is an update.
I received one delivery (Guitar) unannounced (ie no text, email or anything) and in good order last Thursday.
The other I am still waiting. I rang the courier service directly today, Monday the 30th Jan, as it was supposed to be delivered Tuesday 24th.
The receptionist took my details-it was still in the ā€˜depotā€™ waiting for pickup. I explained that I received via email a message that it would be delivered on the 24th!
Put me on hold and then returned saying that she had ā€˜instructedā€™ the driver to deliver it today. I asked why it wasnā€™t and no answer could be given.
Well now I am waiting for it to be delivered today. I am assured it hasnā€™t been sitting in a truck for 2 weeks. What prompted action is when I was asked the value of ā€˜the package-a high end guitar ampā€™ of an estimate of $1600 new.
So, I am now waiting for ā€˜delivery todayā€™.

3 Likes

Well, it hasnā€™t arrived-again.
I rang the courier company again, gave them the reference number of this ā€˜caseā€™. I was instructed to call them after 4 pm if not delivered.
Looks like its ā€˜lostā€™.
Unbelievable, and in no time what so ever has the company contacted me. I had to do the calling.
I donā€™t normally complain, but this is very depressing.
I wish we had the old Consumer Affairs Burea. They used to follow up this stuff.

1 Like

Update: It did arrive safe and sound. Stressful for me and the seller.
But communication very much lacking.
cheers