Toothpaste/powder/tablets

Dental cleaning products have been brought up in several contexts:

And I’ve just run across “Toothpaste tablets”:

So, we have the above-mentioned tablets, tooth powder and, of course toothpaste. There’s also something called tooth soap. All of these are used with a toothbrush. There’s also a sort of stick, which is chewed to provide something akin to a toothbrush with a cleaning agent.

Which have people tried?
Which is best for the environment?
Which is best for the user?
Which is best for the wallet?

3 Likes

Which is best?
Should we also ask, do we need to do any of this, and which diet is best if you choose not to clean at all?

A hint of jest but a serious question.
I’ve known one couple who had reached mid life with all their adult teeth in tact, zero dental work and zero cleaning.

Our not so distant ancestors survived without brush or paste. What dental care did the many first inhabitants of the South Pacific regions practice?

Nine out of ten Dentists agree, there’s not that much money in healthy teeth, but if it’s a perfect smile you are after! :wink:

And had terrible teeth. Before modern tooth care, cleaning is part of that, it was common for people in their thirties to be almost toothless. The young were praised for their sweet breath because they didnt have a mouthful of rotten teeth. It is quite likely bad teeth contributed to high mortality in that era.

I was thinking more Stone Age, pre sugary stuff, and an abundance of certain foods.

Agree, in modern times,

A mixed history, which is why I asked the question. Of the more reliable resources:

I do clean my teeth, by the way. :grin:

1 Like

The Guardian covered this a few days ago, and it appears that their efficacy compared to toothpaste has not scientifically been proven…and there is potential they may not be good at for long term ORAL health (as many don’t contain fluoride).

It also appears that the powder is an uncompressed tablet…or tablet compressed powder.

Before thinking about buying online, it is worth reading the Guardian article:

At the end of the day one has to weigh up good oral health (and associated known disease prevention) which potentially is less sustainable than what may be an unproven fad type product. It is a shame that they don’t appear to be a direct replacements to toothpaste in a plastic tube potentially containing plastic particles (which are to they are banned in Australia).