Toilet Paper Alternative

The best and almost free toilet paper is liquid toilet paper. Some fancy systems have squirters and nozzles connected to the plumbing. But that is not needed. Take a milk bottle. Drill five or six small holes in the lid (after milk is finished of course). Fill with lukewarm water. It might take a little practice. But water is much more effective – we wouldn’t contemplate that the dishes are clean if we just wiped down with dry paper.

But none of the worries of paper, whether is breaks down or not, any carcinogenic chemicals that might have been used to make it that soft, how much it costs, or all those trucks on the road transporting around a commodity we don’t really need at all.

Washing is better than wiping.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community Ian. I hope you don’t mind that I edited your title a tad to better reflect your point of view.

There has some been discussion over the years to do with bidets which require less dexterity, though more expensive than a milk container.

This will likely to become a ‘hotter’ topic as our population ages.

4 Likes

Serious question: how do you dry the clean but now very wet area (in a normal toilet without fancy warm-air dryer) if you’ve got rid of toilet paper entirely?

2 Likes

Or yourself. If you don’t go the full bidet I see hygiene problems.

3 Likes

As a thought, also compare the bidet ‘experience’ to what most ‘westerners’ do, eg ‘pushing it around’.

3 Likes

Without a physical wipe how does one really know the clean up has been 100% effective?

Have used the best of the best in a Japan with the final automation a warm air service. There is always a roll of TP nearby, suggesting perfection is not assured.

P.S.
Opportunity for a final procedure, AI that can do facial recognition might come to the fore of delivering a score! :wink:

3 Likes

The AI would need to be calibrated with a known clean ‘face’ per person. :rofl:

1 Like

Nah, what about those who shave only sporadically?

2 Likes

Alternative reason, they cater to unknowing unpractised foreigners that frequent the venue. :wink:

4 Likes

The article suggests “bidet towels” as one option. An Australian offering:

3 Likes

Likely what we all think.

Two ways to read the last line of the advice. :joy:

Not sure if I should bare all and offer up why I sometimes find the TP an essential accessory.

3 Likes

Like you dry after a shower. With a towel.

1 Like

No need to install a separate bidet, or even smart Japanese toilet seat, as I explained.

No need for a bidet. There are no hygiene problems.

You know the clean has been 100% effective. This is where I say, you need to practice to perfect the technique. But how long did it take to learn to be effective with toilet paper when we were young? Most people forget.

You could dry yourself with a reduced amount of toilet paper, but I find a towel just fine with no need for TP.

1 Like

I agree, that sometimes TP might be necessary, like when we are out and there is no washing facility. But this proves the washing approach because no I never feel clean with TP, and always have a sticky itchy sensation from just TP.

We can greatly reduce the need for TP or anything that clogs up sewers.

Western society is far too much based on having something to throw away for simple things. For example tea bags. I never use those now, just get a little tea maker filter, put in whatever tea you want to the desired strength. Only tea leaves left to go in the garden.

As for coffee pods – any coffee lover should absolutely reject those bastions of laziness. They are now know to be a major garbage problem. And take your own cup, don’t get a disposable.

So back to the original point – can’t make a blanket rule about not using paper coffee cups. Sometimes we are out without a cup, so must take whatever is given to us.

Remember the 5 Rs.

Refuse (verb), Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Refuse(noun).

1 Like