Tobacco Industry's Grubby Tactics

The “Marlboro Man” has passed away at 90 without ever having smoked himself.

Thankfully he did stop promoting smoking after being concerned regarding children.

Ok Folks. Breaking news right here where you hear it first from @Fred123.

Phillip Morris wants to get out of selling tobacco and get smokers to give the filthy habit away.

Don’t believe me? Then wait, there’s more.

Whilst I was at our local shopping centre yesterday, I spotted this sign on the outside of the TSG kiosk.

https://unsmokeyourworld.com.au/

So after all their years of promoting lung cancer, they now want to save humanity whilst ungrateful persons have dismissed their wonderfull altruistic intentions with sceptism.

So all Phillip Morris need now is for everyone to sign up and help lobby the Federal Government to allow them to switch to flogging vaping products.

And I even found a cartoon of the Marlboro Man switching to vaping.

2 Likes

The grubby tobacco companies are still trying to change Government legislation in Australia.

An article regarding research into cigarette butts continuing to be detrimental to health days after being discarded.

1 Like

It has been known for a long time that discarded butts pose a significant environmental impact. They are highly toxic to aquatic biota. While there is much media coverage about discarded butts starting bushfires, there is very little coverage of the problems they cause when they are washed into waterways and oceans

2 Likes

Another article regarding myths abiur smoking.

Number 9 of the second list of 10 claims that the marine pollution isn’t a problem although it is certainly worth preventing.

Number 10 of the second list of 10 is certainly accurate.

This assumes the leachate from the butts and that the oceans will dilute the toxic compounds to levels which don’t pose any issues,however…if aquatic life eat the butts if they think it is food, then this argument doesn’t stack up.

Also, in Australia where many creeks and rivers are ephemeral, butts can collect in waterholes resulting in concentration of any leachates. Such does pose a risk to aquatic biota, along with butt consumption.

1 Like

The RACGP and the AMA hit back at Phillip Morris’ grubby tactics in trying go get their new cancer products approved in Australia.

3 Likes

The WHO calls for action to help stop young people from smoking.

1 Like

As an aside Trump has pulled the USA out of the WHO. Who is running WHO now?

2 Likes

China?

Who is running WHO?

Abbott: You throw the ball to first base.
Costello: Then who gets it?
Abbott: Naturally.
Costello: Naturally.
Abbott: Now you’ve got it.
Costello: I throw the ball to Naturally.
Abbott: You don’t! You throw it to Who!
Abbott: Well, that’s it—say it that way.
Costello: That’s what I said.
Abbott: You did not.
Costello: I said I throw the ball to Naturally.
Abbott: You don’t! You throw it to Who!

If you don’t know how this ends.
“I Don’t Care” or "I Don’t Give a Damn "
Not unnaturally?

As if comedy could forecast the goings on in the Whitehouse today. :rofl:

P.S. There are plenty of links on line to the Abbott and Costello baseball sketch ‘Who’s on first”. None to the WHO and China, unless you consider the US Whitehouse a reliable source?

3 Likes

At first I thought you were referring to a couple of former Australian politicians.

1 Like

An article regarding Australian quitting smoking during the lockdown.

And an article regarding the effects of smoking on relationships.

A video clip regarding the wonderful folks at BAT researching into developing a vaccine for COVID-19.

I guess thay want to keep people alive so they can get lung cancer instead.

1 Like

More likely they are concerned that smokers will be found to be a high risk group. IE. At much greater risk of adverse health outcomes and death from Covid-19 than the general population.

There remain many unknowns concerning the longer term effects and risk factors associated with Covid-19. Please excuse the speculation. BAT may be justifying their actions on purely humanitarian grounds.

1 Like

Another article regarding the disgusting tactics being employed to get young people addicted to nicotine.

When even persons in the vaping business are criticising it, it has to be really bad.

1 Like

An article regarding a Sydney tobacconist receiving a 3 month ban from selling tobacco products.

No name, no mention of a fine, no mention of the ATO investigating the source of the illegal tobacco.

Just a slap on the wrist with a wet tram ticket.

1 Like

A proposal to radically alter the sale of tobacco products in Australia by making them only available through prescription.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/smoking-free-australia-plan-flags-prescription-cigarettes/bea1b60e-b7a9-4dcf-bb83-23909b0b21ac

Anyone else remember Big Tobacco’s ad campaign when smoking in indoor venues was to be banned.

'No smoking? You’re joking."

They ought to love this proposal.

3 Likes

The idea of making them by prescription only sits well with me. Need a ciggy get the script first. That should put a dent in the sales of the products and stop younger people being able to take up the habit so easily.

3 Likes