Toasters review

From ghost toast to charcoal and everything in between, we all have our idea of the perfectly toasted piece of bread. However, not all toasters are equal in their performanc of this seemingly simple task. We review toasters (member content) to find out which ones are best at toasting bread to perfection. you can also find some information and advice in our toaster buying guide.

How do you prefer your toast?

4 Likes

Not reviewed but this Sunbeam Cafe Series is built like a commercial unit and has replaceable elements. It is slow to heat up but then is among the best in my experience. There is also a 4 slice version. Ours dates from Feb 2009 and has not missed a beat. I suspect the manufacturing is different now, but can be worth a look.

5 Likes

Uncooked. I rarely eat toast for breakfast or other times.

The only bread which I eat which is toasted comes from a toasted sandwich press or from a toaster if we are toasting some Turkish bread to make bruschetta…

We have a Russell Hobbs toaster which is over 20 years old.

6 Likes

You didn’t mention the construction of the carriage. Now days most carriages are made of thin flat pressed metal cantilevered from the external depressor. Nothing holds them on the opposite side.

In the old days, the carriage/platforms used to be more robust, and there used to be a vertical wire inside the back of the toaster and the carriage/platform used to slide up and down that while providing support.

I have written previously about multiple toasters we have had failing (from metal fatigue?) where the thin pressed metal carriage/platforms enters the body of the toaster to connect to the external depressor.

I think that because there is no support for the carriage/platform on the back of the toaster it flexes more than the front, and with time, it gives up. Obviously, this depends on how much toast you put through, and whether the bread slices are heavier or lighter.

6 Likes

Looks great, but for the price of a 4 slice toaster you’d want it to make the sourdough for you !!

I’m in the market - have a Breville long slot 4 slice kind of thing, to fair it wasn’t cheap either but it’s lasted 10+ years. Centre element has gone - do you think I can convince the kids it needs replacing? I did take it apart - there was crunchy evidence residue from every single slice of toast it has made somewhere in there.

Can’t seem to buy the kind with the flip down sides anymore - gone the way of the vertical grille and the dinosaur …

5 Likes

Can we be so certain?

https://www.amazon.com/Toaster-AQT-WT12-W-Domestic-genuine-products】/dp/B0734Y24N1

This is a toaster, at least some would suggest? It only has one flip down door though!

More stylish and better thought out than than the similar in concept Breville home oven grill. The toy from the 80’s that claimed it could do everything from bake a sponge to make a hot cup of cocoa, or bake a pizza (one half at a time)?

1 Like

10 months later - hurry, only one left :smiley:

2 Likes

We purchased a Breville “A Bit More” 2 slice toaster in 2015 and it is the best toaster we have ever used with one annoying exception.

After using it, we remove the crumb tray and empty it over the sink.

We then hold the toaster upside down over the sink and shake it vigorously before placing it on the kitchen benchtop to cool down.

When cool, we replace it in the kitchen cupboard, and then clean up the crumbs which have mysteriously appeared where the toaster was cooling down.

1 Like

What happens if fhe inside of the toaster is bigger than the slots where the bread is placed for toasting. Inverting the toaster loose crumbs within the toaster drop and sit on the top inside of the toaster, which can also be trapped behind tbe linings making it impossible to shake out.

There are also raised edges etc within the toaster which can trap crumbs even if the toaster is inverted and jolted/shaken.

When the toaster returns the upright position, the crumbs then fall througb the toaster and onto the bench.

Maybe place the crumb tray before inverting/shaking and empty this out again then the toaster is returned to the upright positionl

2 Likes

We do replace the crumb tray before shaking the toaster upsode down.

Maybe try shaking the toaster upside down, then replacing the crumb tray prior to turning the toaster right side up again? It could be the crumbs find nooks and crannies under where the tray inserts, and the crumbs find their way out from below the tray?

2 Likes

:bread: Here’s the updated 2019 toaster review (member content):

And three of the worst toasters that we think are best to avoid:

3 Likes

Standard procedure as read in toasters 101.
Then insert the toaster tool onto the Dyson, suck away & watch the crumbs in the vortex.

2 Likes

I thought we may have needed a new one last week and the hard plastic handle on our 20 year old Russell Hobbs toaster broke off. After some thought, managed to make a new one out of some timber dowel, painted black and is as good as new. Hopefully it lasts another 20 years…

3 Likes

Does anything beat the old Sunbeam radiant control toaster of the 60’s?
I remember it was fantastic and lasted decades.

6 Likes

A couple of years ago we bought the lower cost kitchen aid. Looked like the 5AKMT223OB When we turned it on, it had the loudest beep in the house. Suitable for any McMansion with 100’s of meters between rooms, but we couldn’t handle the noise & took it back. No volume control.
Our kitchen isn’t quiet. Everything is electronic and beeps. It was over the top.

Edit: Incidentally I googled it at the time & found it to be a common complaint. Perhaps fixed now.

2 Likes

I have one in working condition, and in my opinion, no.

A brilliant piece of engineering, later killed off, I believe, by the bean-counters at Sunbeam.

I also have a '70s Toshiba toaster from Japan. Not as good as the Sunbeam, but very well engineered and manufactured.

5 Likes

:thinking:

2 Likes

This reminds me of the Kitchen Aid Pro electric kettle for $349 that performed about as well as $25, $50 and $100 kettles. But it’s so pretty and all your friends will know you can afford the best …

1 Like

Depending on what variety and type of bread purchased in Japan, perhaps the humble slice deserves respect.

With toaster ovens, costing more than most high end pop up toasters here are the norm, the price for the perfect one slice Mitsubishi toaster is not so out there.

Note:
A bland spongy loaf is readily purchased by the slice in packs of 4 or more slices. Perhaps some might know where the end crusts go. :yum:
There are also bakeries and you can buy a whole loaf, ends in tact! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes