To clean or not to clean?

What is expected if you rent a holiday house and are charged a cleaning fee? Does this mean you can just pack up your stuff and leave or is the expectation that you leave the place as you found it? (In which case, why a cleaning fee?)

2 Likes

Having been involved with Holiday Apartments on the Gold and Sunshine Coasts, I can confirm that the guest is not expected to clean on leaving (Not too untidy appreciated). The Cleaning charge is more to do with maintaining a certain advertised standard for the next guest.

3 Likes

I think some properties are charging this fee as standard? In that case, it should be clearly disclosed and then it should be just like a hotel. You’re not expected to clean, but any damage or excessive mess (such as from a party) might cause an issue.

3 Likes

We leave a short term accommodation property in a similar condition to how we found it. …placing everything back where it was and ensuring everything is tidy. We don’t make the beds so the cleaners known which ones have been slept in. We have once replaced a champagne flute which we accidentally broke as well.

I anticipate that after we leave the accommodation is cleaned from top to bottom (everything from toilet and bathroom to kitchen and vacuuming). There is no expection that the guest clean the accommodation to save the cleaners doing work before the next guests arrive.

If we are staying more than a few days, we often sweep/vacuum to keep it clean for oursleves…but not for the host or next guests.

Ensuring the accommodation is fit and thoroughly clean for the next guests is the responsibility of the host.

In the review age, leaving accommodation neat and tidy can ensure one has a good rating…which makes renting future short term accommodation easier.

2 Likes