Thirty Extra Medicare Licensed MRI Machines

Thirty Extra Medicare Licensed MRI Machines

This will be good news for those who previously had to pay for MRI scans.

3 Likes

‘the Coalition has only issued five licenses since 2013’ and the ALP promised 20 if elected, and now …

Do I detect an election coming?

4 Likes

What a cynical response. You have been selected to participate in the attached link to the ABC Cynicism survey.

1 Like

Been there, done that, but pre-election bribery and marginal seat port barrelling are well known political activities not subject to cynicism because as with the sun rising both are totally predictable actions from our illustrious pollies.

4 Likes

It’s moments like these ?
A) wish you lived in a marginal electorate
B) wish you needed an MRI scan
C) wish you had sold your MRI practice last year while it was still worth something
D) realise you are dreaming - politician’s promises are never delivered as you expect.

P.s. there is a more serious side. Living in a very safe LNP seat with two MRI services down the road it is easy to see a lighter side. Hope it is not another broken promise and is the best use of the funds in the patients interest.

4 Likes

… one day there will be two suns in the sunrise, or sunset as Mr Waters sang - then we’ll know we were all equal …

4 Likes

Their promises are being pumped out thick and fast.

It’s a standard magicians trick getting you to watch the wrong hand by using big gestures to draw attention away from what is actually going on. Now what’s the other hand doing??

I agree with @PhilT. When the big promises start being rolled out it’s close to an election.

After the election we start the next cycle which is when they start explaining how circumstances have changed since before the election through no fault of theirs, and nothing they said then applies; but what they are saying now will definitely happen.

4 Likes

Another view point on why we need to replace most of our CT scanning technology with MRI.

CT scans deliver a high dose of radiation compared to modern X-ray technology. Alarming perhaps to some, but a routine and essential procedure for others.

However an MRI can do most of what a CT does, only better!

Is the Federal Govt policy out of step with medical science and opinion?

Or is it just saving costs at the expense of those who have no choice? For either option, the manufacturers and suppliers of CT and MRI technology have a significant market in Australia.

3 Likes

Some cannot have MRIs due to metal in the body. In these cases the CT is the next best option. In emergencies a CT full body scan can be done in a few minutes (20 or so), a MRI would take much longer to do a full body scan (around an hour or more). Partial scans of parts of the body can be even faster with CT than MRI of the same area. Also in emergencies not always can a patient be asked if they have metal parts or no one may be aware if metal has penetrated their body.

This is not to say I don’t support many more MRI investigations and by extrapolation more MRI machines. I do support many more of them, but I am also not dismissing an almost equal need for CT and X-Ray investigations. Helium supply may be in the end the largest hindering factor.

2 Likes