Thermomix issues new safety notice about the TM5 and TM6

An important safety notice has been issued worldwide for use of the Thermomix TM5 and TM6 by its German manufacturer Vorwerk Elektrowerke.

Owners of both the Thermomix TM5 and TM6 models have been advised they should use the simmering basket instead of the TM6 measuring cup when cooking at temperatures of 95°C and above to avoid the risk of uncontrolled spillages and potential burns.

CHOICE believes that although the Thermomix manufacturer has been proactive in dealing with the safety issue, the solution it’s offered is imperfect and consumers may be entitled to a refund.

To find about more - read the article on the CHOICE website or comment here. We’d love to hear your thoughts if you are a Thermomix owner. Will this new way of using your Thermomix inconvenience you? Do you think the solution that has been offered is adequate?

6 Likes

I think its poor form on the part of thermomix. Whilst I get its not a massive inconvenience to change the way I use the machine, it is still an inconvenience. I mostly cook manually, so now need to remember to modify the recipe to the new operating instructions. The Basic Cook Book that I received with the machine is now outdated, the measuring cup is essentially useless (from a cooking perspective). I looked at a range of multicookers with the functions prior to purchase (I was anti thermomix for 10 years and bought one after needing a high powdered blender, so opted to pay the extra for a thermomix rather than a high powered blender due to extra functions). I may well have purchased a different machine had I known there were to be safety issues with this machine.

The simmer basket is not ideal, the appeal of the measuring cup is that it also assists in venting steam away from underneath cupboards etc. The simmering basket does not do this.

The need to resupply the BCB and issue a safe measuring cup.

4 Likes

Hi @jane.balcombe, my wife just confirmed to me that she knows about the safety issue and that she actually bought a new measuring cup that can be used for all cooking adventures. She can’t remember what she paid for it but the Thermomix Australia website shows it at $27.00. Yes, it’s not a massive inconvenience and not a big deal to get a replacement m-cup but I do think that Thermomix should have offered a free or massively discounted replacement m-cup to their TM5/TM6 customers. I must say so that we are more than happy with our Thermomix and we use it every day for different functions.