The Missing Rock Lobsters on Special

Whilst buying eggs at our local Supa IGA today, I saw WA Rock Lobsters in the seafood display priced at $40 each.

They appeared to be larger than the ones Woollies had and I asked a staff member to weigh one which was 580gms, around 50% heavier, so $40 is around the same as Woollies current $25 on a per kilo basis.

It appears Woollies must have bought up the very smallest WA Rock Lobsters so as to achieve the lowest possible price point on a per item basis.

Whilst at our local Coles today to buy a couple of items to make Lobster Thermidor with our $20 Woollies rock lobsters, I noticed that they actually had the KB WA Rock Lobsters listed in their current catalogue on special for $22, save $3, in stock in the deli seafood display.

It is the first time I have ever seen Aussie lobsters at Coles, and I asked a staff member to weight one. It was 580gms, the same as at our local Supa IGA.

Even at $25 each, Coles deal is much better than Woollies previous price of $20 each.

At $22 each, it blows Woollies current price of $25 each out of the water

All the online recipies I read for Lobster Mornay and Lobster Thermidor listed the lobsters being between 690gms aqnd 900gms each, so it appears that Woollies were merely selling the ones that the restaurant industry probably wouldn’t want.

Only at Woollies where they give you nothing and take you nowhere.

$15 WA Rock Lobsters turn out to be very expensive for the sellers.

An article regarding Easter seafood prices.

I visited Great Barrier Reef Tuna in Cairns this afternoon to buy some tuna sashimi and salmon sashimi and ended up also buying a 900gm cooked painted crayfish for $55/kg and a small whole fresh coral trout for $29.80/kg

Easter is looking good.

The Nine networks hot tip. Sydney Fish Markets, Coles and Woolworths!

I never would have guessed.

P.S.
We stocked up weeks back. The freezer is full. Safer that way. Better at Easter around here to not go out at all, and leave them free for all the weekend tourists.

1 Like