The HeySilkySkin "laser" hair remover

I bought one of these doover-lackeys from an advertisement on Facebook. Sorry now I did. When I received it I found it doesn’t seem to use a laser at all, just what looks like a camera flash tube. It came with a UK power supply and an Australian power supply (12 V 3A d.c.) but neither had safety certification marks of any sort on them, so I tossed the UK one and bought a suitable safety-certified power supply from a local brick-and-mortar electronics store to operate it. The operating instructions for the device tell you not to treat the same area more than three times in a session, but doesn’t really tell you why. I’m guessing it’s because the UV from the flash tube would probably cause skin burns, and maybe be a melanoma risk as well? Not happy. Guess I should’ve returned it for a refund except I’ve already binned the UK power adapter so can’t return that part of it.

3 Likes

There are 28 reviews of the product on TrustPilot, with an average of 2/5. Three of the reviews are 5 star, but none of them seem particularly convincing and two were posted on the same day by people with only one review on the site.

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ll cross post to there then.

1 Like