The cost of music: digital vs physical

Given that YouTube, wholly owned by Google, in turn by Alphabet Inc, is a US company operating a music service, the US principles absolutely apply.

This discussion is becoming more diverse and straying from the original post’s intent/topic. To keep this post on topic - if you would like to further discuss the intricacies of copyright law I ask that you create a new post to do so, or jump into a relevant existing post such as Fair use of copyrighted content or Austalia’s Copyright Laws.

6 Likes

So tell me @Fred123, is that $42.99 disk now being used as a drink coaster? :smiley:

Sometimes there are very good reasons to pay the $42.99.
There are a great many still who consider high tech pushing the eject CD button on the player and inserting the next. (Yes just one at a time!) Don’t forget to push play or skip if you don’t like the next tune.

I know many 60+yo Aussies. Some have mastered iPods or using the mobile phone to play music, watch videos and email. Internet banking maybe not so, as trust is absent. The plain old CD and player remains a happy solution for the rest who have grown up without technology as we know it, and cannot adapt. My mum was one who found EPG and a set top box far too challenging. It was enough to push 7 for 7, 9 for 9 etc and adjust the volume. The digital age outlasted her, however there are still many more of the same generation with us. My other mum is much the same.

5 Likes

For some the world of the Internet, and online access to music, and media players is an alien thing. So CDs are the way music is listened to still for those unfortunates.
But I have some points to make.
Firstly, the CD that started this off is currently selling at places like JBhifi and Kmart for around $31, and about the same on Amazon after adding the delivery charge.
Secondly, when I used to buy CDs, I only bought from stores that had the ability to allow me to listen, before buying.
Thirdly, I find that rarely is there an album I have listened to in the last 20 years that contains more than a few songs I like, and the rest is filler. So I have tended to buy “best of” CDs or compilation CDs. Far better value for the money expended.

Nothing has really changed from the days of vinyl records when a Single had a hit on the A side and rubbish on the B side, and an LP had a few good songs and a lot of rubbish.

2 Likes

My dim memory is that most singles had an A side that was equally as rubbish as the B side.

There are exceptions, Green Day - Good Riddance, and Kiss - Beth. One of these was big when I had hair and the other had a big spot on Seinfeld the TV series.

Perhaps the Beatles should have been encouraged to write longer songs so that the one hit needed the ‘B’ side for the second half? :wink:

Sounds like (pun) my LP’s of Gustav Holst ‘The Planets’ or Vivaldi ‘The Four Seasons’ (not Frankie Valli) at around 45-50mins must be great value. There are more in the box, but why ruin a good topic with too much good music. :rofl: