The best kettle for your kitchen

You’ll find a kettle in almost every kitchen, but what makes a good one - price, noise level, style? Let us know your preferences in the comments.

We have a new Kettle review for 2022 (member content) and a buying guide to help you buy the best kettle:

6 Likes

I am not a fan of electric plastic kettles are they even safe? When I have travelled staying in motels if that is what is offered I don’t use it and take a small one with me just in case. Are plastic kettles a health issue?

6 Likes

Hi Lesley and welcome.

Why do you think this is a problem? We use plastic water jugs, drinking glasses, coffee cups and water pipes (indoors) all the time. All my household water comes out of big plastic tanks. Is there some particular reason this might be a unhealthy that you are aware of?

5 Likes

Yours is the first time I heard that worry. Plastic kettles have been in use for many decades and as @syncretic mentioned virtually all water and drink products come or are delivered by some sort of plastic, and his questions are germane.

You might refer to the links @BrendanMays posted at the top. Some of the better performing as well as cheapest kettles are plastic.

6 Likes

Welcome @Lesley1

Are you concerned with transmission of diseases or the accumulation of plastic in the body or a matter of electrical safety or similar safety issue? It might be easier to research credible information about your concerns if we know what you mean by safe in regards to plastic kettles, there is often a plethora of unsupported and erroneous information out in the world that can mislead consumers about products.

5 Likes

What is a good quite fast kettle.

1 Like

Welcome to the Community @Suemacca

Your post has been moved by @meltam into this existing one about what makes for a good kettle. If you are a member of CHOICE you can access member content such as tests as part of that membership. To see the actual tests you will need to either visit the following link for the tests (https://www.choice.com.au/home-and-living/kitchen/kettles-and-tea-makers/review-and-compare/kettles) or use the link in the article found in the linked review above, to the tests.

I’m sure other members will be able to provide you with their advice and experience in regards to getting the best choice for your needs.

Thank you for your request.

3 Likes

I must admit to being a little concerned about the use of plastics where temperature and eating/drinking is concerned - not paranoid, just probably slightly more than casual avoidance of plastics in high(er) temp cooking scenarios.

My current kettle at home had a plastic filter - I ripped that out and its now all stainless. Of course, the kind of stainless might also be an issue to some as referenced in another thread.

Slightly OT, I was happy with plastic water bottles until this : Reusable plastic bottles release hundreds of chemicals – University of Copenhagen (ku.dk) - life choices, yeah, everything I’ve done has been ok until I drank from a soft plastic water bottle - ok, you got me, no - made plenty of mistakes :wink: But once we know there might be an issue I feel its good to explore that, even if I’ve spent a small fortune on camelbacks … at least my kettle is relatively plastic free.

On the CHOICE tests - as usual they look great and interesting reading with one comment - maybe just score them in minutes/seconds of boil time! My work kettle (1.5 litre) takes a shade over 11 minutes to boil from cold, there’s a relatively big window of opportunity for “things” to go off the rails first thing in the morning :rofl: “Boil Performance Score” ? 64%? - 64% chance of colleagues/customers surviving until my first morning brew has sufficiently caffeinated me …

3 Likes

And even may if the non-plastic ones, such as stainless steel or aluminium, have plastic in the cap or seals. Likewise with kettles, if they are electric, they will contain plastic as plastic is the only approved insulator for low voltage appliances…and even some stove top ones use use forms of plastic for heat insulation on handles and knobs. It is embedded in everything we use.

3 Likes