The best and worst stain removers

The lab results are in, here’s the best and worst performing stain removers:

1 Like

We have been finding that for a usual wash many stains are better shifted by the old fashion method of using a laundry soap and gentle scrubbing. We have found with many sprays or powders, that residues remain on fabrics after they are washed. This is particularly the case with heavy cotton fabrics when items are placed in a usual wash.

If we have stubborn stains, we soak the item initially in hot water with one of the laundry soaker powders. The item being left soaking overnight and then any residues removed with gentle hand scrubbing before being placed in the usual wash.

Some items which have oil based stains (pens, biros, nail polish), the use of a hydrocarbon liquid/alcohol is needed to dissolve the stain. It is a bit of trial and error to what chemical best works on the stain. Unfortunately dry cleaning fluid (white spirit hydrocarbon liquid) isn’t commonly available, as this was great in lifting any stubborn stains.

The above methods is also dependent on the wash labels as soaking in a laundry soaker can accelerate the fading of the fabric’s colour.

4 Likes

I’ve had great success with White King Stain Remover. It’s Australian made & owned too.

2 Likes

Soap/detergent and elbow grease works best for me for clothing. Carpet stains are something else.

1 Like

Trying to DIY… commercial chemical cleaners are making me sick.

This is a great article on which stain removers work the best.

However, there’s nothing about how they perform when they go down the drain … in my case, to a grey-water system. Others have septic tanks, or drain the washing water directly onto the garden. Perhaps some chemicals, phosphates etc. are not good for council sewerage systems either, if the water will end up in a river or in the ocean?

I hope we’ll see more about waste, and getting rid of end products, in Choice articles in the future. That would add a lot of extra value.

1 Like