The accc has failed for 8 years

And if you happen to get a reply, it’s the standard pre-prepared glib bureaucratic response which simply aggravates the distress that the complainant has already suffered.

Don’t worry you useless bunch of layabouts, i’ll do your job for you!!!
Enter “zFlowers review” or “zFlowers reviews” into Google and see how Tom’s Fake Reviews are foiled.
http://zflowers.sucks/#FOILED

Interestingly the ACCC after years to the casual observer of apparent quiescence to the big end of town, finally the agency has grown some cohunas and has now gone full medieval on Ford motor company taking them to court for misleading consumer conduct. Holden has had public mea culpa probably only done to head off similar court action, it announced sweeping changes to its treatment of customers wronged by them, although its spin doctors are spinning it such that to the casual observer it appears Holden is just trying to ‘improve the customer experience’.

Now I wait for Fiat/Chrsyler/Jeep and VW to get the same treatment they both richly deserve.

Maybe the sleeping agency has awoken and decided to act in the publics interests, now that would be nice.

Maybe it is because they, Ford and Holden, don’t get propped up by Govt anymore they let the hounds loose.

2 Likes

I would think the stronger reason is they (Holden (GM) and Ford) took our subsidy/gift/incentives money and ran leaving governments holding the bag and properly looking like top dullards, having been done over yet again.

3 Likes

Very true and well pointed out but still feel it likely is a case of no longer restraining the “dogs” rather than any real change in ACCC methods or culture. You only need to read the Act to see what Govt want ACCC to do.

1 Like

I respectfully disagree about ‘only…read the Act’. The Act describes what the ACCC should be doing by design, but control of appointments (the head) and budgets reveals the agenda any individual government has regarding oversight and consumer protection. I’ll allow that budgets have been chunky in some years and have been rising, but many like myself contend they remain under resourced for the job.

I admit to having more than a fair share of cynicism, but one just need look at the balance of ACCC leadership today. How many are from the corporate-business world versus what could be construed as a ‘Choice minded’ world?

I did a random unscientific google to get a feel for some of the previous membership, and they seemed weighted toward people concerned with consumer protection and governmental decision making (ie ‘Choice minded’). Cynicism affirmed!

1 Like

I agree with your views except my reference to reading the Act was that it wasn’t necessary to do anything else to form the opinion it is there to do no more than what the Government wants. Consumer protection comes a poor third or fourth in a list of two.

2 Likes

Well said, plus a few characters to make that post ;).

1 Like

How about setting up a petition to get heads rolling at the ACCC ??? Would definitely help the consumer or is that a mistake??

3 Likes

@bigmitch8 Sounds like a plan :imp:

2 Likes

The ACCC has become a sad issue in industry. As a govt organization , the consumer deserves better. It’s gone downhill since Allan Fels left. The govt has curbed its power. It has become pro-business not, pro-consumer. The 1st step is to nominate it for the honorary Shonky awards. We the people, deserve better.

2 Likes

I have reported several major issues to ACCC over the years. But I have never received a reply or any assistance in any way.
Waste of taxpayer monies.

1 Like

In March 2011, I complained to the Commonwealth Ombudsman about the ACCC’s inaction, apathy and disinterest, of course… that was a waste of time.

2 Likes

An article regarding Chinese authorities taking real action on grubs cheating their own citizens with price gouging on face masks during the current coronavirus problems.

What a refreshing change in the response to consumers being ripped off in comparison to our useless regulators.

1 Like

An active ACCC investigation? Or would this be one of governments investigations about itself?

3 Likes