Testing of reverse cycle air-conditioning units

I read the May ‘Choice’ test/update on reverse cycle air conditioners and If I understand it correctly ‘Choice’ actually does not actually test the units in house but relies on data from other sources to form the basis of the review. If that is correct how does ‘Choice’ satisfy itself the data is impeccable? Given that some chinese manufacturers were found a few years back to embellish the data about the energy efficiency of their units, how can ‘Choice’ be confident that their assessments are based on non-embellished data?

1 Like

Hi there. We cross-check the information against the government registration database - this is the information the manufacturers must submit in order to register their air conditioners for the energy star label and in order to be legally sold here. Random check tests are performed by government authorities from time to time to ensure this data is correct. Obviously this process isn’t foolproof and some errors and fraudulent registration can get through, but the evidence so far is that those are very rare cases. So we’re confident that our assessments are based on data that is reliable enough.

Thanks for that info.
I asked the question as I recalled a few years back a Chinese brand ‘Chunlun’ had been publicly exposed because it had exaggerated the energy efficiency of at least some of its units.
I recalled this because had already purchased one of their units partially in the knowledge at the time it had a good energy rating.
Although the unit works well and has been reliable but as it is only used adhoc during extreme weather I cannot comment on whether it is as good as advertised or not so good on power usage.
But I am planning a new home and want to go all reverse cycle heating and cooling and so the power consumption is very important and the LG units you reviewed are high on my list but I would hate to be fooled again.