Tesla Motors Australia Pty Ltd - Tesla Model S MY2014-2018 and Model X MY2016-2018 Recall

A recall notice for Tesla Model S MY2014-2018 and Model X MY2016-2018 supplied by Tesla Motors Australia Pty Ltd as the eMMC may malfunction over time.

Tesla Motors Australia Pty Ltd - Tesla Model S MY2014-2018 and Model X MY2016-2018

PRA No.

2021/18836

Date published

8 Apr 2021

Campaign number

SB-21-21-001

Product description

Tesla Model S
Model Years 2014-2018

Tesla Model X
Model Years 2016-2018

Equipped with an 8GB embedded Multimedia Card (eMMC) in the media control unit

2,508 affected vehicles

Identifying features

VIN (Vehicle identification number)

See attached VIN list

VIN list.xlsx (66.81 KB)

What are the defects?

The eMMC may malfunction over time.

If a malfunction occurs:

1. The central display may black out and not recover after restarting the touchscreen; and/or
  2. There may be loss of certain functionalities, including rearview backup camera, exterior turn signal lighting and windshield defogging and defrosting controls; and/or
  3. A vehicle alert to contact Service may appear.

What are the hazards?

The loss of these functions may increase the risk of an accident resulting in injury to the vehicle occupants and other road users.

What should consumers do?

Tesla Inc will contact affected consumers by letter, advising them to make an appointment to have the VCM daughterboard replaced with an enhanced eMMC controller, free of charge.

For more information, or if you receive a vehicle alert signalling storage device degradation or are experiencing a persistent black centre display that does not recover after restarting the touchscreen, consumers can contact Tesla customer service on 1800 686 705 or visit https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/support/8gb-emmc-recall-frequently-asked-que…

Supplier

Tesla Motors Australia Pty Ltd

Traders who sold this product

Tesla

Where the product was sold

Nationally

Dates available for sale

• 1 May 2014 - 30 June 2018
  • 1 January 2017 - 30 June 2018

Responsible regulator

Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications is the responsible regulator for this recall.

1 Like