Telstra's new unlimited upgrade for existing customers is a bit of a rip off

Thanks Grahroll… true, your are right, but I don’t understand why the lady didn’t give me that option… but can they just do that? What’s next, 10 years contract? 100 years? With $200000 exit fees? Seems I have not much choice and to go into a 24 months contract if I want to avoid the casual fee…

2 Likes

They probably try to sell you the option that 1) locks you into a 24 month contract so they obtain some certainty about income 2) they make a “better” deal for you, that is if there are no early termination of contract, is more bells and whistles and no extra “casual” type fee structure. I guess you could go casual until the NBN hits and then you would have a wider choice of providers.

2 Likes

Over time we have found any Telstra contract, typically 24 months as Telstra never liked 12 month ones has been a poor deal. Often part way through offers change, and Telstra always seemed to make it hard to switch. We were Telstra ADSL captives for internet due to the exchange for too long! “2Mbps, would you like some data with that”?

Despite how great a contact might look up front month to month over time worked out better because we could switch at will to suit changing needs, usually saving through the change. The cycle of better deals seems to repeat every 6 to 12 months.

With the NBN, Cable customers once connected will no longer be tied to Telstra.

And yes, typically Telstra and Optus etc have traditionally charged more or offered less on month to month. Calling the difference a casual fee sounds like a marketing tactic. Sort of the opposite of a loyalty discount or bonus which is also a common tactic.

After nearly a lifetime of Telstra we made the big switch 8 years back. That was except for a private business account, working and travelling in NSW and Qld where the options were then only one.

When talking with Telstra sales reps, they may be honestly saying, the best deal on the day for your next month only is a new contract. I’ve learnt to ask all of the Telco’s - now what is the best deal month to month? Some may surprise with the response!

2 Likes